Can't change pages through search results

Having issues using the CentOS WebSite? Then describe your problem(s) here. Please include details of your platform (Linux, Mac, Windows) and browser -- not forgetting the versions of each.
dalepres

Can't change pages through search results

Post by dalepres » 2016/05/27 19:36:08

I performed a search and got back 32 results. When I tried to change to page 2 of the results, I got a message that I must wait 103 seconds before I can use search again. I understand (sort of) limiting search to conserve resources but it seems that you can never get to page 2 or beyond in search results. Is something just broken or is this by design?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Can't change pages through search results

Post by TrevorH » 2016/05/27 23:01:21

It's pretty much by design. The board runs phpbb3 and their recommendation is to limit access to the page so that it cannot be used as a denial of service mechanism. The results are pretty rubbish too so I just use google - e.g "CentOS 7 install vlc site:www.centos.org/forums"
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

dalepres

Re: Can't change pages through search results

Post by dalepres » 2016/05/28 02:57:21

Interesting. I have a phpbb 3 bulletin board and I can navigate pages in search results. Well, usually if you don't find what you want on the first page, the likelihood of finding it on other pages is slim. I guess I'll try google searches with the site: parameter.

Thanks.