Latest Apache, MySQL, PHP (and modules) manual installation?

General support questions
riahc3

Latest Apache, MySQL, PHP (and modules) manual installation?

Post by riahc3 » 2015/04/25 08:49:25

I guess this is more of a Linux question than a CentOS question but...

If I do it thru yum, it will get the Apache/MySQL/PHP version avaliable on its repostories. It may or may not be the latest, I do not know. I want to install the latest one, with or without security holes, onto my CentOS installation.

What is the best way to do this?

Thank you

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Latest Apache, MySQL, PHP (and modules) manual installat

Post by TrevorH » 2015/04/25 11:28:48

No, you don't want "the latest", you want the most secure - actually "you" may not want that but the rest of us want that for you as there are already quite enough spambots/compromised hosts out there. That's the philosophy behind Enterprise Linux. Stable, long term support, backported security fixes. If you don't want that then you might as well dump CentOS and go and run Gentoo and compile everything from scratch.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

riahc3

Post by riahc3 » 2015/04/25 18:14:13

TrevorH wrote:No, you don't want "the latest", you want the most secure
I acutally specifically stated I want the latest with or without security holes. :lol:

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2015/04/25 18:18:08

Well, this forum is to help people with CentOS supplied programs.
If you want help installing the latest versions, you will need to find it elsewhere.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2015/04/25 21:17:13

Using yum will install the only supported version that you'll get from CentOS. If you want "the latest" then you are using the wrong distribution.
Use the FAQ Luke

riahc3

Post by riahc3 » 2015/04/25 22:36:43

gerald_clark wrote:Well, this forum is to help people with CentOS supplied programs.
If you want help installing the latest versions, you will need to find it elsewhere.
Woah...that was friendly :roll:

Thank you.
TrevorH wrote:Using yum will install the only supported version that you'll get from CentOS. If you want "the latest" then you are using the wrong distribution.
Well, what recommendation should I be looking at? Looked at Gentoo but initial setup looks WAY too time consuming.

giulix63

Post by giulix63 » 2015/04/26 07:12:40

Try Fedora. This explains the relationship between Fedora and CentOS/RHEL. Fedora fora are here.
Root is evil: Do not use root (sudo) to run any of the commands specified in my posts unless explicitly indicated. Please, provide the necessary amount of context to understand your problem/question.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2015/04/26 11:18:26

It should be noted that the goals of Enterprise Linux are: stability, reliability, dependability and that the versions of the packages stay the same throughout the entire 10 year lifetime of the distro. This is done so that unexpected changes in how things operate are not introduced in mid-release cycle and that security updates are backported by Redhat so a regular yum update is all that is required to stay secure. Other distros have different goals and don't have the same restrictions.

If you want bleeding edge then CentOS/RHEL is the wrong choice. Fedora is a similar rpm package based distro and its goals are different and it tends to have more recent versions of everything... and things tend to break more often and the distro lifetime is 13 months not 10 years.
Use the FAQ Luke

riahc3

Post by riahc3 » 2015/04/27 15:25:14

Ive always used Ubuntu but I wanted a web server (different to Ubuntu) and the OS I looked at was CentOS. I see the now Apple like mentally: Closed Wall and if it is outside the Wall, it is unsecure, unstable, etc.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2015/04/27 19:43:59

Please note that all of the advice you have been given, above, has been given in an attempt to assist you.

As CentOS is just a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux then any complaints as to the concept and philosophy of the OS should be addressed to Red Hat.
Image 100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.