Barebones Installation of CentOS 7.

General support questions
TheCTOSian

Barebones Installation of CentOS 7.

Post by TheCTOSian » 2014/07/15 18:17:42

Hi,
I am totally new to Linux and CentOS, [but not technology :) ] so various Linux related acronyms are fairly meaningless to me....

I have a nice new empty box and want to install a simple webserver environment (LAMP) on it, then develop the resulting website.
Once done, I will then package the whole thing, and deploy the complete box to clients who will, with no technical skills at all, plug in the box to the power and a network line where they will have this webserver provide its service to the local community it will serve.

I've started the necessary research and, assuming a common sense approach, expect to download the CentOS package, create a DVD, plug it into the new box and start a YUM script. (Note that my current development environment is Microsoft, so I guess I need to do the download/burn bit under that OS).

I've noted the (broken) links to YUM and will pursue the given alternative, but again assuming this has all been done before, can anyone point me to a "Dummies Guide" for all this?
Gotta start somewhere!

Appreciate any pointers.

Regards,
Duncan.

gerald_clark

Re: Barebones Installation of CentOS 7.

Post by gerald_clark » 2014/07/15 19:15:40

Sounds like you are biting off more than you can chew.
You expect people with no technical skills to just plug it in and have all
the IP configuration, routing, and firewalling in their office magically work with the new box?

Here is the documentation you need to read and understand.
https://access.redhat.com/documentation ... ise_Linux/
Happy reading.

vonskippy

Post by vonskippy » 2014/07/15 19:55:16

TheCTOSian wrote:can anyone point me to a "Dummies Guide" for all this?
Considering that what you've described has yet to be done from ANY company ANYWHERE, you have to ask why, when Cisco, Netgear, IBM, Dell, etc have hundreds of knowledgeable engineers, yet they can't offer that type of product.

Networking isn't rocket science, but it isn't magic either.

Of course they said that to the Wright brothers too, so Good Luck.
For the 2.5^15th time :: Better Details = Better Answers

TheCTOSian

Post by TheCTOSian » 2014/07/15 20:35:01

Appreciate the two responses. I think that perhaps I gave the wrong impression:
What I laid out was the vision.

Clearly, not knowing the capability of Linux/CentOS scripting et al, I fully expect to find challenges! ... and the occasional full stop, where manual intervention is required.
Remember, "Technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic" Arthur C. Clark

All I really wanted was a sensible starter for ten.

Regards,
Duncan.