CentOS custom kernel

General support questions
dustyclark

CentOS custom kernel

Post by dustyclark » 2014/07/18 23:29:46

I'm having problems building and installing a kernel with rt-preempt turned on. Following the instructions at http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel does indeed produce a bootable working kernel, but doesn't appear to have picked up any kernel configuration changes w.r.t. the running kernel the new config was based on. Indeed, as far as I can tell, the kernel configuration from the running kernel was used in the build instead of the custom kernel setting.

I did make sure the new configuration file at /boot/config-* matches the local buildid string set in the kernel.spec file, and yes I did save the changes to the configuration after making them. I've done the whole process twice to make sure I didn't make that sort of mistake, and had the same results both times.

The wiki is well out of date and some of the steps called out for editing the kernel.spec file are either not needed since the edits are already there or missing entirely. I suspect there is some sort of bug someplace in the kernel.spec file, but since I'm not anything like an expert with rpm, perhaps someone on this board can advise me what went wrong? Thanks!