How to setup software raid

General support questions
lingpanda

How to setup software raid

Post by lingpanda » 2014/07/28 19:38:51

Hello,

Attempting to setup software raid. I have never used CentOS. With that said I need some assistance. All tutorials online appear to be for pre CentOS 7 release. I'm currently using VirtualBox and could use a step by step guide. Thanks.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: How to setup software raid

Post by TrevorH » 2014/07/28 19:41:51

What do you want to do with software RAID? How many disks do you have and what sort of RAID are you aiming to create and how? Is this during the install or post-install?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

lingpanda

Post by lingpanda » 2014/07/29 13:27:30

TrevorH wrote:What do you want to do with software RAID? How many disks do you have and what sort of RAID are you aiming to create and how? Is this during the install or post-install?
My apologies for lack of specifics and clarification. Would like to use two drives in Raid1 via software raid. During install with GUI. Production box will be a Kolab server with two 1 TB drives. I've had success with doing this in Ubuntu during install but would like to use CentOS for Kolab.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2014/07/29 15:47:26

You can select RAID as an option in the CentSO 7 installer though I haev not yet managed to get it to do LVM on top of RAID using that method. To do LVM on RAID I've had to use a kickstart file which seems to allow anything you want including installing /boot as an LVM LV.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke