Installation Crashes

General support questions
Epsilon

Installation Crashes

Post by Epsilon » 2014/08/26 09:21:56

Hi,

I'm an ubuntu user but have the aim to move to a more business orientated OS like Centos/Red Hat; try Centos first!

Over the weekend I tried several times to install the new Centos 7 distribution with encrypted standard partitions. The machine is EFI aware and my aim was to install the /boot/efi (i.e. EFI partition) and the /boot partition to an unencrypted USB device. The remaining (standard non-LVM) partitions would be created on the main hard disk and luis encrypted as is usual.

The problem I encounter everyone of the 5 times I tried was a crash message box informing be than an unknown error had occurred; to be the clear the crash happened before or during the partitioning wizard but always at a slightly different time.

I entered the debugger and was met with many CRITICAL line outputs about a selection being out of range (looked GUI/mouse click maybe?) and then finally that a '_payload*' did not exist but always different. One i remember was to do with the timezone I think .. (I'm in London). After this I'm lost I'm afraid and the installer terminated.

Anyway, at this stage I'm not sure if these issues are because Centos 7 is new or there are other issues?

Would really appreciate any insight; I have searched around but cannot see others experiencing this exact issues.

Many thanks,
James

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Installation Crashes

Post by TrevorH » 2014/08/30 22:51:52

Did you verify the media that you are using to install from? Did you checksum the iso image that you downloaded? Have you tried using the same media for a less complex initial installation to verify that that works first?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke