[Solved] Dual-boot with Windows 7 not working

General support questions
jbruyet

[Solved] Dual-boot with Windows 7 not working

Post by jbruyet » 2014/09/16 17:07:28

Hey all, I just installed CentOS 7 on a second hard drive in my workstation and on the first hard drive I'm running Windows 7. My problem is that when I boot the computer I don't get any boot choices for which OS to boot to. I've been Googling this problem and now I'm really confused. In some locations I'm told I need to edit the grub.conf file while in other locations I'm told not to edit the grub.conf. I did find a couple of places that mentioned a 40_custom file and I thought about experimenting with it but this is my workstation at work and I'm hesitant to do so. Any help here would be great.

Thanks,

Joe B
Last edited by jbruyet on 2014/09/16 23:38:23, edited 1 time in total.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Dual-boot with Windows 7 not working

Post by TrevorH » 2014/09/16 17:27:21

Edit a file in /etc/grub.d (I used 15_windows) and add content like this

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash -e
echo "Adding Windows" >&2
cat <<EOF
menuentry "Windows 7" {
set root='hd0,msdos1'
chainloader +1
}
EOF
You will need to amend the content of it to match your installation of course. You can also amend the 40 and 41 files in that same directory to handle your needs. Once this is done you need to rerun grub2-mkconfig and point the output to the correct config file.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

jbruyet

Re: Dual-boot with Windows 7 not working

Post by jbruyet » 2014/09/16 23:37:54

Hi TrevorH, per a recommendation from another CentOS user I tried installing 6.5 and it installed right up. On top of that, I have Windows 7 as a boot option. Thanks very much for the help but I Ithink I'm going to give 6.5 a run and see how it works for me. I will, however, make a note of this for future reference. Just in case I get bored one day at work...

Thanks,

Joe B