NTFS

General support questions
Qvindesland

NTFS

Post by Qvindesland » 2014/09/26 20:24:38

Hi All

I have a windows 7 machine that i am going to install centos 7 on, but on the machine I also have a few 2 tb drives formatted with rtfs, I found this article http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/NTFS but I am wondering if anyone can shed any lights on how well it works and if I should rather move everything to a fat partition and move it back later once the drives are in ext format?

Thanks
Per

lightman47

Re: NTFS

Post by lightman47 » 2014/09/26 20:45:14

Are you going to re-format an NTFS drive to install CentOS - is that where you are going with this?

If your NTFS drive(s) are NOT going to be the "target" of the CentOS install, then leave them alone. They'll work fine, but CentOS may need that "3G" package to recognise them. Don't just install it, try to view the drives first - may be ok. If it complains that NTFS is (forgot - invalid format/unreognized format/etc.) then you will need the '3G' referenced.

Qvindesland

Post by Qvindesland » 2014/09/26 21:18:19

Hi lightman47

Many thanks for the reply

Yes thats correct I have a windows 7 installation on a NTFS partition that I am going to install centos on, but I am more worried about the other r2 tb disks that I got which is NTFS partitions, so am I correct in assuming that I can just install centos and it will pick up the NTFS partiotions? but I may have to install the 3g partition?

I will first try with a live disk and see how it goes, but this would certainly make it go quicker.

Per

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2014/09/26 21:24:12

CentOS out of the box does not recognise nor read nor write NTFS drives. You cannot install CentOS on NTFS at all, you would need to reformat any NTFS partition to a supported filesystem during the install. Once you have an installed CentOS system you can add the EPEL repository and install ntfs-3g and that will allow you to read/write NTFS drives.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke