USB Drive not recognized

General support questions
tuckerd

USB Drive not recognized

Post by tuckerd » 2015/04/06 21:55:50

I have googled half the day but can't find a solution to this silly issue. I have a server running centos7. When I plug a keyboard into the usb in the front it just automatically starts working. dmesg shows some not about it being connected. I bought a USB external drive and when I went to plug it in, nothing happens. It's as if it doesn't even see it being plugged into the device. Nothing in dmesg to indicate an event. Any idea how I get this drive to be recognized?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: USB Drive not recognized

Post by TrevorH » 2015/04/07 10:59:14

Try a different cable/usb socket. If neither help then try a different machine/operating system and verify that the device is even working.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

tuckerd

Re: USB Drive not recognized

Post by tuckerd » 2015/04/07 13:31:37

TrevorH wrote:Try a different cable/usb socket. If neither help then try a different machine/operating system and verify that the device is even working.
I had it running on this same machine running Ubuntu. I upgraded the server to centos7 and no more usb drive. I brought it down to my linux mint desktop thinking the same thing and it's definitely working. Additionally it doesn't recognize any USB sticks I put in any of the usb sockets.. When I installed this as centos 7 I installed the minimal install. I have a feeling that whatever it is that allows plug and play usb to work isn't in the base install, and I just simply haven't ever had to look into what packages need to be installed or services need to be running in order to make this work as in the past it just "has". Anyone have any idea what these packages/services might be?