CentOS Transparent Authenticating Proxy

General support questions
OmagaIII

CentOS Transparent Authenticating Proxy

Post by OmagaIII » 2015/05/12 06:58:39

Good Day,

New CentOS user on the block and I would like to ask some assitance please. I haven't worked with CentOS much before an the last time I worked with RHEL or Fedora is a rather long time ago.

As the title states I am looking at setting up a CentOS Transparent proxy to facilitate an educational institute with caching and traffic control of new fiber internet access lines. I would appreciate any and all help with the construction.

To assist, here is what I have:

1 x Dedicaed CentOS 7 Box with:
- 2 Network Interface Cards. (eno1 -> to router, enp8s0 -> to internal network)
2 x Active directory Servers (Server 2008 R2) with:
- DNS
- DHCP
- GPO's
- File Servies
- Print Services
550 x Users that need regulation which includes:
- 80 Management which need access to banking and socail media ect
- Students that need access to the internet except dowing downloads, youtube, facebook ect.

Configuration would be:

LAN ----> CentOS 7 Proxy ----> Router/WAN

The way I imagine the system is that the Domain controllers will give out the IP of the proxy (as a gateway) via DHCP and handle the DNS to users. As soon as they want to connect to the Internet for email via outlook, or websites, then the proxy needs to be used. The proxy should be transparent and only allow authenticated (via AD or Winbind) users and MAC addresses added via a list for mobile users not directly on the network (IE marketers which float in and out of the academy). It should preferably have a blacklist for sites and terms used and searched for to allow me to add and remove entries as needed.

I am aware of how to do some of the configuration, but as mentioned before, I haven't worked with Linux in a while, despite loving the system to bits.

Lastly, the CentOS Box does not have a GUI loaded for network management ect. I am aware of using commandline tools such as nmcli d modify or nmcli c commands to do configurations. Also, no problem doing sodu vi to edit documents. Effectively I want core assistance and preferably try and avoid buying of software where possible.

Any help would be very helpful.

Looking forward to hearing from the community.

aks

Re: CentOS Transparent Authenticating Proxy

Post by aks » 2015/05/12 16:38:23

OmagaIII

Post by OmagaIII » 2015/05/12 16:43:51

aks wrote:Is this http://docs.diladele.com/tutorials/tran ... index.html what you're looking for?
Whahaha, looks legit. They do mention taking caution with the setup, but I will ask if I hit a snag.

Thank you for this.

Other suggestions still welcome.

OmagaIII

Post by OmagaIII » 2015/05/15 08:06:30

Ok, well, the guids as they currently stand don't help much...

I cannot get the proxy to work, or the authentication to work, or the transparency to work ect...

I have tried everything from "ServerWorld" CentOS 7 setup guides right through to random links that point to setting this up and I am at the point of just restarting again...

Is there a proper guide somewhere that literally starts with a blank install and actually takes you through the process of joining a domain, setting up the proxy and getting the thing to work, even if it is bare minimum installs and adding stuff one by one? I'll even do that, just want a proper and complete guide to assist if I get caught up.

Some guides also refer to command line tools that don't exist, then it is back to first installing the stuff, jumping back to the guide and continuing from there... Not ayoba...

Any one have a suggestion? Or is this going to be one of those cases where I will most likely write up my own guide an hopefully cover everything myself for someone else to use instead of some of these half@$$ documents out there?

Are we still so primitive in the Unix/Linux world? 10 years a go it was the same as it is today... Not really helping to evolve this to anything mainstream if we keep going in circles...

Anyway, enough with the ramble. Any other guides I could reference or am I on my own on this?

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2015/05/15 16:45:00

Would a link to the Red Hat Enterprise Linux documentation assist you?
Image 100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

anderson_thomas

Post by anderson_thomas » 2015/05/20 04:18:20

Hi,

this is my squid Proxy setup under CentOS-7, It is working as a http and https Proxy:

Look here:
- http://www.dokuwiki.tachtler.net/doku.p ... d_centos_7

Hope this can help?