Unable to install centos7

General support questions
figwe

Re: Unable to install centos7

Post by figwe » 2015/07/25 01:27:35

Is it possible to convert a non-uefi to a uefi install and if so how??

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2015/07/25 01:47:16

It's the same installer disc, you just need to flip the UEFI/Legacy BIOS setting in your "BIOS" setup. That would impact any other o/s you have already installed though.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

amk

Post by amk » 2015/07/25 13:19:36

I don't know what i7 390x is, so I'm not sure what CPU you actually have. If it has integrated graphics, you can switch to it temporarily for installation.
If it has no int. graphics, your only option seems to be text mode install.
I just tried it in VBox, seems to work fine with Gnome selected as the DE. There seem to be some limitations in regards to partitioning, even though I wasn't very thorough here, but you can just select one disk for automatic partitioning and select, if it's standard partition or LVM. You can create other partitions later after installation.

Entering text mode install can be accomplished by adding 'text' to the boot line.
I added it to the basic graphics mode option while also removing the 'quiet' line. So basically press 'e' at the basic graphics option line and replace 'quiet' with 'text', then press Ctrl-x to boot.
After the installation is complete, it will boot to multiuser mode, aka text mode asking for user's name and password.
Typing startx gets into Gnome. It will be slow, but should work temporarily, till you install Nvidia drivers from elrepo.