Seperate settings for Left and Right Mouse, which program?

General support questions
slorps

Seperate settings for Left and Right Mouse, which program?

Post by slorps » 2015/09/23 23:21:18

Hello, I only use Linux (Centos 7) these days, and have a bit of a problem.

One thing, the OS $W which wont be named has a built in capability to have separate settings for left and right mouse.

CentOS has no native support for this. I use two mouses.... and having the left one be middle finger for main click, and the right mouse be index finger for main click , SUPER ANOYING, and it is actually wiring my brain in ways which I do not like. It is literally building neural pathways that are non-symmetrical. It is also affecting the shape of the bones in my hands, I'd rather not have one hand with a developed middle finger and the other had have a well developed index finger, in a non-equal capacity.

I would like a complete mirror of my biology in terms of motor neurons, skeletal growth, and spacial reasoning, basically equal from one hemisphere to the other.... as humans normally find utility and aesthetics.

This means left mouse has main click with index finger(right click), and right mouse has main click with index finger(left click). This is the natural and organic way.

Pretty simple and easy to do if separate settings are allowed.

Which programs in CentOS allow separate mouse settings like $W?

Thanks again,

giulix63

Re: Seperate settings for Left and Right Mouse, which progra

Post by giulix63 » 2015/09/24 07:46:48

Your post made me laugh :D Have you tried xinput?

Code: Select all

man xinput
will print out its man page. I tried with my Logitech mouse:

xinput list
gave me a list of my input devices. My mouse is recognized as "Logitech G400s Optical Gaming Mouse". Then I inquired about its capabilities:

xinput list "Logitech G400s Optical Gaming Mouse"
That showed a list of buttons under "Button labels". Now, to invert left and right click, I tried:

xinput set-button-map "Logitech G400s Optical Gaming Mouse" 3 2 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
and it worked. YMMV...
Root is evil: Do not use root (sudo) to run any of the commands specified in my posts unless explicitly indicated. Please, provide the necessary amount of context to understand your problem/question.

Ceim

Re: Seperate settings for Left and Right Mouse, which program?

Post by Ceim » 2017/11/19 13:32:50

Hi!,
How do you save these settings? When I restart, it resets everything.
Regards.