Extending partition to another virtual disk

General support questions
browningit

Extending partition to another virtual disk

Post by browningit » 2017/02/14 19:35:59

Hi all,

I'm working on a problem that I created of my own volition. I rolled out a CentOS 7 server that was intended to do filesharing as a test . That test machine went into production some time ago. The issue now as I see it is that it would be more work to tear it down and redo it or just do one of the two options I have:

1) Move the app install and filesharing directory to another HDD
2) Extend the current encrypted partition to another HDD

Set up: (centos)

Hyper V box running Centos 7 (completely patched). Initial disk was 127GB, and I encrypted the disk. It looks like so:
[sda - sda1 - boot efi]
[sda2 - boot]
[sda3 -
luks
- couple of app related partitions here under luks]
[sdb - 500GB]
[sr0]

Set up: (Windows Hyper-v)

Centos 7 disk - 127GB
Added separate virtual disk file to client os - 500GB

I'm a novice in knowing the commands and steps off by heart. When I read the steps, I get it. I don't however know what I can do with the encrypted volume. I had someone knowledgeable with the platform try to work this out with me on a clone of the set up (glorious virtual computers allowing me to make gobs of errors) but he failed to perform the task.

My light reading so far has found the following steps, but both of which don't *quite* fit my master plan:

http://www.gigahype.com/resize-luks-enc ... partition/
viewtopic.php?t=4611

They start in a different place. I have a test mirror of the machine to practice with; so I can try this a few dozen times until I learn it. :)

Thanks in advance everyone. Your support here is invaluable.

alvesman

Re: Extending partition to another virtual disk

Post by alvesman » 2017/08/29 10:22:56