Disable screen blanking on RHEL 7?

General support questions
jnojr

Disable screen blanking on RHEL 7?

Post by jnojr » 2017/03/21 18:51:07

When my screen is locked (I want this to happen!), it very quickly blanks. I don't want that to happen... maybe after an hour or so, but I want the locked screen to stay visible. I've tried Googling, but cannot find someone asking the same question with a clear, reproducible answer.

ancientnoise

Re: Disable screen blanking on RHEL 7?

Post by ancientnoise » 2017/03/22 02:23:51

What are your settings in APPLICATIONS -> SYSTEM TOOLS -> SETTINGS -> PRIVACY -> SCREEN LOCK?

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2017/03/22 18:09:46

jnojr wrote:When my screen is locked (I want this to happen!), it very quickly blanks. I don't want that to happen... maybe after an hour or so, but I want the locked screen to stay visible. I've tried Googling, but cannot find someone asking the same question with a clear, reproducible answer.
OK I'll admit to being CURIOUS -- occupational hazard of being a cat: NORMALLY -- maybe you are not normal -- if you want to lock your screen, you also WANT it to blank out the screen so no one can see what is on it. You are defeating the very reason for locking the screen in the first place. It is a giant PITA to have to enter a password to UNLOCK the screen. Why not simply go with a simple screen saver that blanks the screen after x period of inaction, then all you need to do is wiggle the mouse and you're back where you left off?? TRUE using a screen saver is NOT as secure as locking the screen which will require you to enter your user's password but then again if security is the reason for locking the screen, then you WANT it to blank the screen.

Is this computer located in a home office, or an office office?? If a home office, is because you have little children and you don't want them to accidentally screwing up your work?? Here is a compromise solution: Unlock the Widgets on the bottom of the Panel, Select "Add Widgets", search for Add "Lock and Logout" buttons to your panel. Re-lock your Widgets. Now if you leave your desk for a minute hit the Lock Screen Button, then when you come back Enter your Password and be on your merry way, otherwise use a simple Screen Saver and then after x period of time the screen saver kicks on, a simple wiggle of the mouse will bring you back to where you left off.

jnojr

Post by jnojr » 2017/03/22 21:06:57

desertcat wrote:
OK I'll admit to being CURIOUS -- occupational hazard of being a cat: NORMALLY -- maybe you are not normal -- if you want to lock your screen, you also WANT it to blank out the screen so no one can see what is on it. You are defeating the very reason for locking the screen in the first place. It is a giant PITA to have to enter a password to UNLOCK the screen.
What's the point of "locking" a screen without a password??? Yes, it's kind of a PITA to have to enter a password, but otherwise, anyone could walk by and touch the mouse and pretend to be me. That's defeating the very purpose ;)
Why not simply go with a simple screen saver that blanks the screen after x period of inaction, then all you need to do is wiggle the mouse and you're back where you left off?? TRUE using a screen saver is NOT as secure as locking the screen which will require you to enter your user's password but then again if security is the reason for locking the screen, then you WANT it to blank the screen.
Why are you assuming that having the screen locked somehow requires it to be blank? No, I most decidedly do not want it blank... then I have to wait several seconds for it to come to life again. That's the PITA for me. Every time I get up from my desk, I lock my desktop. Paranoid? Maybe. But then, I work in a paranoid environment ;)

If I could get xscreensaver working with the GNOME shipped with RHEL7, that might be enough... if locking the screen kicks off the screensaver, and then after x minutes of the screensaver the power-saving kicks in, that would be fine. But that seems to be a bit of a mystery, too... Googling leads to a bunch of Ubuntu-related results, and adding '-ubuntu' leaves me with nothing :-/