What pulls in nvidia-x11-drv when using elrepo in a kickstart installation?

General support questions
Heinervdm

What pulls in nvidia-x11-drv when using elrepo in a kickstart installation?

Post by Heinervdm » 2017/03/27 17:57:36

Hi,
I'm preparing a Kickstart installation file to install several systems. In this Kickstart configuration I'm having the elrepo enabled, as I need one of the kernel modules provided there. I'm doing a normal Gnome Desktop installation.
The problem is that since this Repository is used in my configuration the nvidia-x11-drv-340xx and kmod-nvidia-340xx package is installed automatically. I have not added them to the packages list and the PC doesn't even have an nvidia graphics card...

Can someone tell me what is pulling in this package? I suspect that some package has a Supplements: nvidia-x11-drv, but I can't figure out which one and how to prevent the nvidia package to be installed.
I already tried to blacklist these packages by adding the following lines to the packages section:

-nvidia-x11-drv-340xx
-nvidia-x11-drv
-kmod-nvidia
-kmod-nvidia-340xx

But this doesn't help either.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks,
Heiner

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: What pulls in nvidia-x11-drv when using elrepo in a kickstart installation?

Post by TrevorH » 2017/03/27 18:53:20

If you yum remove them once it's finished then whatever it was that pulled them in should be on the list of packages to be removed.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Heinervdm

Re: What pulls in nvidia-x11-drv when using elrepo in a kickstart installation?

Post by Heinervdm » 2017/03/28 07:28:48

Thank you for this hint.

When I try to remove the nvidia package, all Xorg is removed.

Xorg requires libGL.so which is provided by the nvidia-x11-drv package. I've added the mesa-libGL, mesa-libEGL and mesa-libGLU package explicitly to my kickstart configuration and now the nvidia package is no longer installed.