How do I start KDE on multi-user system?

General support questions
mj17

How do I start KDE on multi-user system?

Post by mj17 » 2017/04/13 17:56:51

Hi,

Our multi-user CentOS 7 system was installed with GNOME only. I installed KDE via:
$ yum group install "KDE Plasma Workspaces"

I have two questions:

1) If I'm within GNOME and cannot do a reboot just yet, how do I start KDE so that I can exit GNOME and re-login under KDE? I tried 'startkde', but when I exited my GNOME session and went to login again, I did not see any choice for KDE. I then tried to start KDE via an ssh terminal session, but again I did not see a choice to login via KDE or GNOME.

Note that I cannot make the system default be KDE. Each user must be able to decide for him/herself which windows manager they prefer.

2) Following a reboot, will KDE be started automatically and each user given the choice of GNOME or KDE? (I hope that is the case.)

Thanks.

mj17

Re: How do I start KDE on multi-user system?

Post by mj17 » 2017/04/14 03:59:08

Yes, I did read through that prior to installing KDE. Since we already had GNOME, systemctl get-default returned graphical.target prior to me installing KDE. Also, that article didn't address my issues (as far as I could tell, anyway).

Thanks for your reply.

mj17

Post by mj17 » 2017/04/15 19:37:44

Just to close this out, I was able to figure out my problem ...

The /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file was giving precedence to GNOME over KDE. Thus, if both window managers existed (or if the "system" preference was GNOME), then GNOME was launched. The user was not given a choice.

I use VNC so I updated my xstart file to explicitly execute startke and that worked.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2017/04/18 05:29:22

mj17 wrote:Just to close this out, I was able to figure out my problem ...

The /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file was giving precedence to GNOME over KDE. Thus, if both window managers existed (or if the "system" preference was GNOME), then GNOME was launched. The user was not given a choice.

I use VNC so I updated my xstart file to explicitly execute startke and that worked.
Somehow I don't understand the nature of the question: You state this is a multiuser system. Each user should be able to choose their GUI if you have more than one installed. You say that GNOME is installed and you have just installed KDE, therefore each User should be able to choose between the two. All they need to do is click on the Gear (?) on the Login page to choose *their* preferred GUI. What am I missing?

mj17

Post by mj17 » 2017/04/18 22:46:17

Somehow I don't understand the nature of the question: You state this is a multiuser system. Each user should be able to choose their GUI if you have more than one installed. You say that GNOME is installed and you have just installed KDE, therefore each User should be able to choose between the two. All they need to do is click on the Gear (?) on the Login page to choose *their* preferred GUI. What am I missing?
The issue was there was no Gear on the Login page to choose the preferred GUI. It automatically selected GNOME.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2017/04/21 07:47:37

mj17 wrote:
The issue was there was no Gear on the Login page to choose the preferred GUI. It automatically selected GNOME.
mj17 wrote:
OK just to be sure: You boot up the computer [twiddle thumbs], the page with all your user's name appears, correct?!? You select a user's name [ Say King Kong] Now you are asked for King Kong's Password. Correct?!?

NOW RIGHT BELOW THERE YOU SHOULD SEE SOMETHING THAT SAYS SIGN IN RIGHT NEXT TO THAT YOU SHOULD SEE A THING THAT LOOKS LIKE A SMALL GEAR. You are saying you DON'T see a small gear next to where it says Sign In?!? Possible but unlikely. If you DO see a small gear, click on it and it will tell you all the GUI's that are installed, which will include KDE Plasma or something like that. Click on that and it will set KDE Plasma to be the default GUI for that user, but not the other listed users which will still be GNOME.

Now if you DON'T see the little gear next to where it says Sign In then something is probably whacked. Here is what I would do:

1) In GNOME (The DEFAULT GUI for CentOS) start up a Konsole or Terminal ( You may have to hunt around to find one)

2) Type su and enter your Root Password --> You are now Root!!

3) Type either yum grouplist or yum group list (both should work). You should now see in the long list in that list will be something called "KDE Plasma Workspaces"

4) Now type yum groupinstall "KDE Plasma Workspaces" or yum group install "KDE Plasma Workspaces" Don't forget the quotation marks " ".

5) One of two things will happen now either. You will get 1) a message that reads:

"Warning: Group kde-desktop does not have any packages to install.
Maybe run: yum groups mark install (see man yum)
No packages in any requested group available to install or update"

... which means every package and dependency for KDE Plasma has already been installed, and you *should be* golden ie The KDE Plasma system is installed.

... or 2) you will get a listing of all the the packages and dependencies that are missing. *IF* this is the case type "y" for yes and let it install the rest of the missing packages and dependencies.

6) In the case of 2) after the packages and dependencies have been installed, reboot the machine. Now when the list of Users come up and you select King Kong check to see if there is a tiny gear next to where it says "Sign In". There *should be* one there now. Click on the gear and you should now see at least two entries one of which should say KDE Plasma Workspaces. Click on that and a small dot will appear next to that telling you that KDE Plasma is now the selected GUI. Enter King Kong's Password and hit Enter and KDE will now come up.

If there is still no gear next to where it says Sign In something is truly whacked. Been there, done that. There is a way once you have confirmed that KDE Plasma and all the associated packages and dependencies have been installed whereby you can make KDE the DEFAULT via the CLI, but you will need to find a guru to walk you through the commands. I had this happen to me several years ago, same problem you are having now, and had to go through this process. The key here is to make sure all the KDE packages and dependencies have been installed.

Hopefully this solves your problem.

mj17

Post by mj17 » 2017/04/21 21:33:14

Hi desertcat,

I think we have a bit of a miscommunication going on--but it's probably just me.

First of all, the problem has been resolved via an edit to my .vnc/xstartup file.

My issues were that after installing KDE, I could not reboot the system (next planned reboot is still out a little while). Since I use VNC, what I was doing was killing my VNC session and starting a new one. But when I would open VNC to login, there was no gear or anything else for me to select which GUI to use--GNOME was selected for me. Therefore, I modified my xstartup file to not run /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, but instead explicitly run startkde. That worked for me. I can't speak to the "correctness" of my solution--but at least I can login to KDE now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2017/04/22 03:30:43

mj17 wrote:Hi desertcat,

I think we have a bit of a miscommunication going on--but it's probably just me.

First of all, the problem has been resolved via an edit to my .vnc/xstartup file.

My issues were that after installing KDE, I could not reboot the system (next planned reboot is still out a little while). Since I use VNC, what I was doing was killing my VNC session and starting a new one. But when I would open VNC to login, there was no gear or anything else for me to select which GUI to use--GNOME was selected for me. Therefore, I modified my xstartup file to not run /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, but instead explicitly run startkde. That worked for me. I can't speak to the "correctness" of my solution--but at least I can login to KDE now.

Thanks for the suggestions.
mj17, no probably just me. That said glad your issue is resolved. That said for anyone else who may be having the problem of starting up KDE...