Rsync backups failing

General support questions
jeffdvo

Rsync backups failing

Post by jeffdvo » 2017/04/26 19:39:14

Hi all,
I've recently done a fresh install using the DVD version. My old installation was rock solid for the past 18 months/2yrs so I never got round to backing up the boot drive. Anyway I'm again, Samba shares working lovely but noticed the backups were failing. I have 2 physical and I backup the 1TB data drive to an External USB drive, never had a problem with the original so I'm wondering if I'm not using rsync correctly. Here's one example that runs via cron:-

rsync -avhP --delete --append --log-file=/root/Documents/DVDBack.txt /mnt/win/DVDs/ /mnt/usbback/DVDBack #DVD_Bak

I use robocopy to backup my Win10 boxes and use the "Mirror" option, hopefully the above cmd is similar to mirror.

Basically I'm getting "Disk Full" errors.

Noticed that the root filesystem was on 50GiB so I increased this to 136 GiB and the back ups failed again with "disk full" error. Noticed the root was 100% full again after running a backup :-( I unmounted the Int drive and ext drive and physically disconnected them and then deleted the folders in /mnt. I've added them back and mounted them, Samba shares all working again but the USB drive has now decided to spit its dummy out (overlapping partitions - currently running testdisk to see if I can fix it).

I can post results from df -h and du and fdisk -l if needed. Copied and pasted into Notepad :-)

tunk

Re: Rsync backups failing

Post by tunk » 2017/04/27 21:14:51

Are you sure that the usb disk is mounted on /mnt/usbback?
The "disk full" error could suggest that it's not.

jeffdvo

Re: Rsync backups failing

Post by jeffdvo » 2017/04/27 21:45:56

Hi Tunk. It was mounted on /mnt/usbback and was working fine. Turns out the 1TB USB drive is poorly (partions overlaying). Tried fixing it with TestDisk but ended up killing it properly :-( I've stuck an extra Int HDD in and will try the backups again, fingers crossed.