GNOME 3's Panel Power Icon Immediately Shuts Off Machine

General support questions
systemassistant

GNOME 3's Panel Power Icon Immediately Shuts Off Machine

Post by systemassistant » 2017/05/18 15:46:14

Hello all, relatively new sysadmin here with a question about user-specific behaviour regarding the GNOME 3 panel's power icon. For my admin account, the behaviour of the button is "normal" (i.e. when I click it, it gives me a prompt asking if I would like to restart, power-off, or cancel), but for my other users, when they click it it immediately shuts the machine off. Clicking the logout button demonstrates the same behaviour (immediate for users, prompt for me).

I have tried finding the necessary option to change this behaviour in dconf-editor under the org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power schema, but nothing there appears to apply to the GNOME panel power button, those options seem to relate to the physical power button itself and its behaviour...

I have also tried looking to see if there are hidden files that are holding a configuration somewhere specifying the panel's power icon behaviour, but thus far I have not been successful.

My question is: given that there is no option (that I know of) in the dconf-editor that corresponds to changing the panel icon's behaviour and I have not yet found a hidden file that has anything to do with it, can anyone please provide me with some areas to investigate that may shed some light as to why the panel button behaves differently for my admin account and my regular users?

Thanks in advance, hope to hear back soon!