[SOLVED] Centos 7 fails to install from USB and disk (creating from windows, boot on no OS machine)

General support questions
lightman47

Re: Centos 7 fails to install from USB and disk (creating from windows, boot on no OS machine)

Post by lightman47 » 2017/05/23 18:18:24

Yeh - the Verify is a different link back on the page I quoted.

(don't like it either, but it's what we got).

Fonse

Re: Centos 7 fails to install from USB and disk (creating from windows, boot on no OS machine)

Post by Fonse » 2017/05/23 18:21:39

TrevorH wrote:Or you can read the Release Notes like I said in my last post.

Here https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7 saves you the trouble of typing "CentOS Release Notes" into Google. More specifically https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/Release ... 5027b67684
I thought you were talking about the documentation, sorry, it matches.

Fonse

Post by Fonse » 2017/05/24 18:48:50

Ok, so still absolutely no progress, left the current recommended way of installing overnight, still nothing. Apparently all debug information is turned off by default, don't know why I wasn't told to do this here, but what ever. The issue clearly happens dracut initqueue hook, as I've stated multiple times in the past.

I followed the instructions from this link: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... m-in-linux. Note the problem is *NOT* the same as what I have, so don't come posting here solutions to that problem. The instructions don't actually work correctly for what ever alien shell system they've got running currently, but I removed the "quite" argument from and added rd.shell to each of the *four* options displayed in grub.cfg, which is found inside ANACONDA underneath the folders there (don't remember if it was ETC/ or some other directory).

This allowed me to see much more output from the process. Now I have questions.

Why would the installation hang on "Starting dracut initqueue hook..."? I have no clue what it does and all issues related around it seem to be incredibly inconsistent.

Does centos need anything but a bootable usb and a blank device to write to? do I need to format the other drive? Pictures of the process further along show being able to partition and format during the process though previous to using Centos install I hadn't touched either drive (and do not actually have access to doing anything to either blank drive with out installing centos first on one of them)

With quiet turned off I get:

Code: Select all

//... loads of stuff up here
[ OK ] Started Open-iSCSI.
          Starting dracut initqueue hook...
[    8.364071] MXM: GUID detected in BIOS
[    8.364784] fb: conflicting fb hw usage nouveaufb vs EFI VGA - removing generic driver 
following the last line gave me :
https://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=12093.0

then I went to bios and updated uefi settings to turn off secure mode and enable legacy. Got past the part, but then I couldn't see what I was doing because "my input timing wasn't supported"... with the error:

Please change your input timing to 1920x1080@60ghz
tried to force vga in bios, doesn't appear to have done anything (and I've regressed back to freezing...)

EDIT: Setting VGA and all legacy options together sort of helped, but then I get the same "Please change your input timing" above so it stops me from even being able to see what is going on.

Fonse

Post by Fonse » 2017/05/25 13:57:17

Well I managed to fix this completely by myself. Centos apparently has always had a problem with nouveau, so I'm really not sure why I was getting advice that was actually hindering my search for an answer instead of responding to the installation output... I guess Its my fault for trying my luck outside of stackexchange sites like unix or superuser.

To any one in the future with this problem, if you have an Nvidia graphics card Centos will just not work as an install unless you do the following.

Find the grub.cfg folder in your ANACONDA partition on your drive (its the only partition you can actually view the file structure on in windows and Ubuntu). On any line underneath

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
that corresponds with a launch option you want to use, for example:

menuentry 'Install CentOS Linux 7'
at the end of the line of

linuxefi /images/pxeboot/vmlinuz
add the following

rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0
if you were to say do this for your basic install option, the option would look like this:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Install CentOS Linux 7' --class fedora --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
	linuxefi /images/pxeboot/vmlinuz inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=CentOS\x207\x20x86_64 quiet rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0
	initrdefi /images/pxeboot/initrd.img 
}

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] Centos 7 fails to install from USB and disk (creating from windows, boot on no OS machine)

Post by TrevorH » 2017/05/25 15:55:42

You can just press tab on the installer to edit the kernel command line, no need to edit files.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Mesqualito

Re: [SOLVED] Centos 7 fails to install from USB and disk (creating from windows, boot on no OS machine)

Post by Mesqualito » 2017/05/30 14:17:13

You made my day. A Schenker Notebook with a Nvidia 1070 will not boot into installation without this options. And I created the USB-Stick via dd on an ubuntu-Notebook...