Boot on SSD and Storage/home on Different drive/Raid Array

General support questions
telcar

Boot on SSD and Storage/home on Different drive/Raid Array

Post by telcar » 2017/05/27 22:03:19

So ill just make it simply and for everybody this probably is because if it was windows it would be simply for me. This problem actually maid me switch to windows server then i switched back because i mist the centos web panel. Nothing windows based even compares, Well for free anyways. The subject pretty much tells it all i have 250gb hdd (witched will be switched over to a ssd later) i have the OS installed on. I want the home directory on the 10TB raid5 arraw. i tried changing the the line in fstab 2 times first was "dev/sda2/home default 0 0, second was uuid-some-long-number defaults 0 0 and i tried changing some stuff in the "mapper" folder. Witch nobody mentioned in researching this everybody talked about the above, nothing about the mapper folder. I assuming this is because everybody was working off an fstab based off file locations not partitions. Any way its becoming a pain because i half to reinstall after every error if tried booting from sd or plugin the hdd into different pc both wouldn't let me access the hdd even tho i didn't encrypt anything.
OS: is from the lates dvd.iso: CentOS v7.1611 x86_x64 DVD - minimal install everything default - no updates just installed gnome
pc: Dell Doweredge r710 - running 5x2TB 2.5 dhh in raid5 ext4 up front and a 250gb hdd in back running on the 1/2 sata ports/will be switched to 250gb ssd later - can give exact specs of server if needed
everything is blank and default nothing important on anything and its going to be a person web hosting server did the paid host thing was to simple not enough control or fun