how to make KDE my default desktop.

General support questions
dreamer1212

how to make KDE my default desktop.

Post by dreamer1212 » 2017/06/15 10:40:59

Run in level 3, I would like to have KDE my default desktop, switchdesk seem not working anymore, any idea?

Thanks.
Joe

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: how to make KDE my default desktop.

Post by TrevorH » 2017/06/15 10:48:12

If you're coming up in runlevel 3, command line mode, then you presumably have to run a command to start your desktop. Just run /usr/bin/startkde instead of whatever you're running now?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

dreamer1212

Post by dreamer1212 » 2017/06/15 19:19:04

"$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to X server", got this message after fetching the command you told me.
I can login kde from init 5, choosing the session with kde plasma.
Don't know what is missing.

FranekW

Post by FranekW » 2017/06/16 08:55:29

I am a beginner so my explanation will be based on what I have.

I have currently two desktop environments installed, that is GNOME 3 and KDE Plasma 5. I set up system to boot into graphical mode

Code: Select all

# systemctl set-default graphical.target
After rebooting and then a login manager has started, system prompts for a username and password in graphical mode. Next to OK I have a little gear like icon I can click on. This is to choose between installed desktops. Try if you can do it. Perhaps you might need to execute "systemctl ..." to get into the login manager.

EDIT.
I assumed you have already installed KDE Plasma using the package manager:

# sudo yum "KDE Plasma Workspaces"

dreamer1212

Post by dreamer1212 » 2017/06/17 11:17:46

Yes, I can do that, that's why I think nothing should be missing in my box, just don't know how to make kde run as default in level 3.
FranekW wrote:I am a beginner so my explanation will be based on what I have.

I have currently two desktop environments installed, that is GNOME 3 and KDE Plasma 5. I set up system to boot into graphical mode

After rebooting and then a login manager has started, system prompts for a username and password in graphical mode. Next to OK I have a little gear like icon I can click on. This is to choose between installed desktops. Try if you can do it. Perhaps you might need to execute "systemctl ..." to get into the login manager.

EDIT.

FranekW

Post by FranekW » 2017/06/17 15:12:55

There is an answer on Unix & Linux Stack Exchange website regarding GUI. The guy provides sort of routine how to install multiple desktops and configure system to run them. Perhaps this can be of any help! This is all I can suggest.
Last edited by FranekW on 2017/09/13 13:56:57, edited 1 time in total.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2017/06/20 02:48:06

FranekW wrote:I am a beginner so my explanation will be based on what I have.

EDIT.

You have KDE Plasma 5 installed?!? You must of hacked the system as you could not have used the yum command. The current version of KDE for CentOS 7.3 is Plasma 4.14