(solved) Offline Updates

General support questions
curtis_k

(solved) Offline Updates

Post by curtis_k » 2017/06/16 19:24:05

Hello Everybody,

I'm having troubles getting the usual GNOME/PackageKit/gnome-software offline updates to work on a CentOS 7 desktop machine and found no solution elsewhere. I think, I installed all the necessary software

PackageKit,
PackageKit-glib,
PackageKit-gtk3-module,
PackageKit-yum,
gnome-packagekit-common,
gnome-packagekit-installer,
gnome-packagekit-updater and
gnome-software

and "packagekitd" is running (via systemd unit "packagekit.service") as well as "gnome-software" (with option "--gapplication-service"), but if updates are available (checked with "pkcon get-updates" and "yum check-updates"), I get no desktop notification and no update option with the poweroff/reboot dialogue. Does anybody have an idea what to check or configure to get offline updates working?

Thanks a lot, curtis_k
Last edited by curtis_k on 2017/11/04 14:36:25, edited 1 time in total.

curtis_k

Re: (solved) Offline Updates

Post by curtis_k » 2017/11/03 10:38:02

Hi,

the CentOS 7.4 update brought new versions for PackageKit (1.1 instead of 1.0) and gnome-software (3.22 instead of 3.14). With these versions I have no problems on all of my CentOS 7 desktop installations regarding the automatic (offline) updates when using the standard Gnome 3 Desktop. Everything works as expected (behind the scenes checking and downloading of updates, notifications, etc.).

If you are still using older CentOS 7 desktop installations: Sometimes a "gsettings set org.gnome.software check-timestamp 0" with the privileges of the desktop user got offline updates going again, though usually only for one update cycle.

Hth, curtis_k