How to ask a kickstart file to ignore the HDD label..?

General support questions
kiran raj

How to ask a kickstart file to ignore the HDD label..?

Post by kiran raj » 2017/06/19 05:58:18

The requirement is that we need to create a centos kickstart file.

* The ks file should be capable of installing centos without asking a single question.
* So I had configured the file to ignore any HDD labels other than 'sda' so the installer selects sda HDD alone.
* Now arises a problem in which where we install on a RAID disk, the BIOS will label the HDD1 and HDD2 together as the name 'Volume0_0'.
* Here, the ks installer will not find the HDD in the name 'sda' as it is re-labelled for RAID configuration.

How to ask the kickstart file to get installed on a disk irrespective of the HDD label..?

ie, it should get installed irrespective of RAID / Non-RAID configurations.
also, i dont think it is possible to make the installer ignore the drive details and install randomly.
though this is a reasonably good option and i had tried providing '*' (asterisk) to all the drive letters in the ks file, it didn't work properly.

excerpts from the kickstart file (editted - commented to avoid searching for sda)
# Run the Setup Agent on first boot
#ignoredisk --only-use=sda
#firstboot --enable

....................................................................................................................................
....................................................................................................................................

bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=Volume0_0

(This Volume0_0 was previously given as 'sda'. Now to make it work under a RAID configuration, we are re-naming it as Volume0_0)
But the problem is that this version doesnt work with a non raid machine as in non raid, Volume0_0 label will not be given for HDD.
Last edited by kiran raj on 2017/06/19 14:05:15, edited 1 time in total.

gerald_clark

Re: How to ask a kickstart file to ignore the HDD label..?

Post by gerald_clark » 2017/06/19 11:38:07

That sounds like you are using a Fake RAID controller, not a real hardware RAID controller.
Either use a hardware RAID controller that makes the array appear as a single drive, or use Linux's software RAID.

kiran raj

Post by kiran raj » 2017/06/19 12:24:31

gerald_clark wrote:That sounds like you are using a Fake RAID controller, not a real hardware RAID controller.
Either use a hardware RAID controller that makes the array appear as a single drive, or use Linux's software RAID.
This is impossible because client needs the iso to be kickstart installed to the systems that are been shipped with default raid 1 config. so they wont be bothered about changing the raid configs. so linux s/w raid cant be used.

the requirement is clear. the iso should get installed and the partiotions has to be configured irrespective of the name labelled to the hDD device.
the installer shouldnt be bothered about the name of the HDD at all.

stevemowbray

Post by stevemowbray » 2017/06/19 12:47:27

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just omit the driveorder entirely so that CentOS installs onto whatever drive is available?

kiran raj

Post by kiran raj » 2017/06/19 14:07:01

i dont think it is possible to make the installer ignore the drive details and install randomly.
though this is a reasonably good option and i had tried providing '*' (asterisk) to all the drive letters in the ks file, it didn't work properly.
repeat: irrespective of raid or no raid, the kickstart file shouldnt be bothered about the drive letters and it must get installed fully.

but drive letters are coming many a places.

kiran raj

Post by kiran raj » 2017/06/19 14:09:40

Trials:
Starred ( * ) every device name needed in kickstart file the same fails as expected.
Tried many config changes and fails.
Agenda:
Install a regular centos OS (Not kickstart) on VM. This will install the ks file in accordance with the vm automatically.
Post the installation:
copy /root/anaconda_**.cfg file from newly installed machine. done
compare the newly auto-generated kickstart from normal centos from fresh installation and the old kickstart files for:
Device names / config stats (specific for VMs)
As seen on the fresh kickstart file;
(same attached with the name 'centos-ks-file-original')
firstboot --enable
ignoredisk --only-use=sda
System bootloader configuration
bootloader --append=" crashkernel=auto" --location=mbr --boot-drive=sda
autopart --type=lvm
Partition clearing information
clearpart --all --initlabel --drives=sda
As seen on the Changi Centos KS file
firstboot --enable
bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda
clearpart --all --drives=sda
clearpart --linux --drives=sda
'initlabel' means the disc label will be getting initialized. so adding the initlabel option in the ks file and running test again.
firstboot --enable
bootloader --append=" crashkernel=auto" --location=mbr --boot-drive=sda
clearpart --all --initlabel --drives=sda
clearpart --linux --drives=sda
This is also getting failed.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/06/19 16:09:40

If you are using FakeRAID (and it sounds like you are) then the advice would be to disable that in the BIOS or controller BIOS and then remove the RAID metadata from each of the disks by running dmraid -E -r $device for each one in turn. Better yet, don't even start trying to use the FakeRAID stuff, turn it off before you even boot the first time.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

kiran raj

Post by kiran raj » 2017/06/20 04:38:50

I am doing a testing on SIEMENS D300 machine which is being used by our clients on-the-site. They are not happy with changing the RAID configurations.
All they want is a kickstart iso which on pressing the Enter key, the OS should get fully and properly installed.

#1 - I am using the BIOS RAID. Pardon I'm not really sure if BIOS RAID is exactly fakeRAID in SIEMENS..??!! :/

#2 - The machine comes with RAID-1 configuration by default. This cannot be changed. (Means we don't have an option to..)

#3 - The iso should not be bothered about the label given to the disc by RAID controller or by any means or whatsoever..

#4 - For Information : Kindly clarify where to run the following command:-

dmraid -E -r $device

Is this supposed to be inserted in the kickstart file, before the HDD configurations, partitioning actions etc come up..?

Did you mean that the ks file should remove any RAID configuration information which had been previously tagged onto the HDD..?

(!) - Most importantly, is there a chance to GET THE SAME THING DONE in the presence of a previously configured RAID 1 utility...?

kiran raj

Post by kiran raj » 2017/06/22 11:01:41

@TrevorH
Please be kind enough to help this. All ways look like being blocked...!