How to install rpm packages without internet...?

General support questions
kiran raj

How to install rpm packages without internet...?

Post by kiran raj » 2017/06/20 11:00:36

I am aware that this can easily be done by downloading the specific file.rpm and install using rpm or yum utilities.
But when I am trying to install some packages such as HP Printer driver etc, it is asking for dependencies.
On downloading them, it is again asking for sub-dependencies and this goes on.

How to download a particular package with all of its dependencies resolved, to be packed it as a bundle...??
Because searching online for each sub-dependencies to urge for more and more, is becoming a pain..!!
Any ways to automate this partially at least...?

bertalanimre

Re: How to install rpm packages without internet...?

Post by bertalanimre » 2017/06/20 11:51:36

If you have a similar computer with the same OS you can just type the following:

Code: Select all

yum install HP-Printer-driver --downloaddir=/root/rpms/ --downloadonly
This will download the RPM it self + all other dependency for it. If the RPM can be downloaded only from the HP website, just do the same, I assume it should again download all the dependency for the RPM.

OFC replace HP-Printer-driver with your actual rpm package name. But why do you need a driver? Isn't it OK by default?

kiran raj

Post by kiran raj » 2017/06/22 10:59:29

So you meant to say, that if I have an internet enabled - same OS system, just run this command and I will get the package bundle with all the dependencies resolved and which is ready to be installed on a standalone system which doesnt have any repos configured.

Could you kindly explain this process adding more detail to it..?

Yes HP Drivers are already there but was found to be outdated. hplip failed with some missing dependencies.
Since being afraid that it might miss some device functionalities, I had tried to install the latest and it got failed throwing missing dependencies.

bertalanimre

Post by bertalanimre » 2017/06/23 11:48:50

kiran raj wrote:So you meant to say, that if I have an internet enabled - same OS system, just run this command and I will get the package bundle with all the dependencies resolved and which is ready to be installed on a standalone system which doesnt have any repos configured.
Exactly. This command runs on CentOS 7 and Fedora 25, I can confirm these. Probaly RedHat 7 knows it then as well.

- Just set any test machine up with internet enabled.
- yum install YOUR-REQUIRED-PACKAGES --downloaddir=/root/rpms/ --downloadonly
- copy all the rpm files in /root/rpms/ to anywhere where you can share it with the restricted machine (network drive, pendrive, etc)
- on the restricted machine, log in
- go to wherever you have copied all the rpms
- type: yum install ./*.rpm in that folder.