CentOS for system engineers

General support questions
boxikg

CentOS for system engineers

Post by boxikg » 2017/06/23 20:27:33

Hi to everyone, I have been working as system engineer for 9 years but unfortunately never had opportunity to work with any Linux distribution. As complete novice in Linux I need some advices. Since there are tons of Linux distro, is learning CentOS right way to start and become expert - I would like to learn Linux network services (DNS, DHCP, NIS ...) i.e. counterparts to Windows network services I have been working with whole my career. Is CentOS right distro for this or I will have to learn some other distros? I assume knowing every single Linux distribution is impossible.

To recap, CentOS for system engineers, right choice or not? If so which book do you suggest?

I am glad to join Linux world and I am thankful for answers in advance!

hunter86_bg

Re: CentOS for system engineers

Post by hunter86_bg » 2017/06/26 20:24:36

The 2 major distributions in the enterprise are RHEL (CentOS is a rebranded RHEL) and SLES. They are both quite similar (despite the fact that each distro has its quirks) and focusing on only 1 of them is enough.

About the services - both Red Hat and SUSE treat this as an advanced topic and you "should" be a Red Hat Certified Engineer or SUSE Certified Engineer. There are lot of training materials, but I could recommend Sander van Vugt's video courses (I do own both van Vugt's and Michael Jang's RHCSA/RHCE books) - especially the RHCSA course - as it contains the very basics.

Sidenote: You will never meet a 4 TB Windows Virtual Machine running SAP. If you do - write me a PM :)