CentOS 7.3 Kernel Rebuilding? - kernel-RT

General support questions
awdorrin

CentOS 7.3 Kernel Rebuilding? - kernel-RT

Post by awdorrin » 2017/06/28 22:40:30

I have been experimenting with CentOS 7.3, trying to rebuild the kernel with the PREEMPT-RT kernel patches.
I have not had luck yet, but I figure that I am not following the correct procedure.

I have tried downloading kernel source and patches from the kernel.org website, specifically kernel 3.10.105 and patch-3.10.105-rt120
The kernel appeared to build properly, but after reboot, it encountered errors trying to mount the XFS filesystems.

I figure that since the kernel build of CentOS 7.3 is 3.10.0-514 that there is likely an incompatibility and that I would be better off building from CentOS kernel source, rather than the vanilla kernel.org kernels. However, I am not sure where I download that source and patches from.

If anyone can provide some pointers, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm coming from a Debian/Ubuntu background - where the kernel-rt is readily available for download in their repos, so this is the first time in probably a decade or more, where I've been rebuilding a linux kernel on my own. (haha)

Thanks!
-Al

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS 7.3 Kernel Rebuilding? - kernel-RT

Post by TrevorH » 2017/06/29 00:10:35

The CentOS 3.10 kernel contains patches backporting functionality from 4.x series kernels. It in no way resembles the mainline kernel of the same version number any more.

Try http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/rt/x86_64/Packages/ which contains several previously built RT kernel packages - not sure how official they are. I believe there may be a newer one on the way since all previous ones will suffer from the "stack clash" bug. Might want to keep an eye on that directory for a while and see what shows up.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

awdorrin

Re: CentOS 7.3 Kernel Rebuilding? - kernel-RT

Post by awdorrin » 2017/06/29 12:25:46

Ah, yeah - I forgot about the backporting, that will make things trickier.

I had been experimenting with the RHEL7.3 Server RT release, and ran into a network queue bug with their kernel.

I did get the CERN built RT kernel to build, but that broke my Virtualbox guest additions. (Will need their source package I believe)