Installation error; how do I troubleshoot this?

General support questions
avij
Retired Moderator

Re: Installation error; how do I troubleshoot this?

Post by avij » 2017/10/14 17:48:22

Sounds like your SSD is failing. If your BIOS has some sort of a "SMART Self Test" for testing the SSD, try running it. I think smartctl is included in the Rescue image and Live images, if your BIOS does not have that kind of functionality built in.

#IDGAF

Post by #IDGAF » 2017/10/16 14:00:41

Well, it works now.

This laptop came stock with a Samsung 128GB SSD (SATA m.2.) After verifying it worked with the included Windows install removed the 128GB Samsung drive and put in the Intel 600P (NVME m.2) and attempted to install CentOS. With the CentOS install issues I switched to Mint just to use the system while I worked on solving the CentOS install issue. Given that Mint worked I had ruled out a hardware failure. Upon your mentioning drive failure I put the Samsung back in and the install worked. Now I need to do diagnostics on the Intel to see whether or not it is indeed bad and take it from there. Damn. Thanks for the help all!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/10/16 15:16:29

Intel 600p drives need a firmware update or you will get xfs filesystem errors on them. They probably work with ext4 but xfs has trouble. Update the firmware to $latest and xfs should be ok too.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke