CentOS DVD Installation - Unable to Boot

General support questions
anon1024

CentOS DVD Installation - Unable to Boot

Post by anon1024 » 2017/07/18 23:47:55

I am attempting to install centOS on an Asus laptop (currently Windows 8). After setting the disc drive to the top of the boot order I receive the message:
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

Pressing a key causes the same error to be printed instantly. Opening and closing the disc drive (with the burned iso) then pressing a key causes it to load for a few seconds before giving the same error.

Steps taken in attempting to resolve the issue:
1.) Inserting a Windows 7 boot disc does not give the error and works as expected. This makes me think something could be wrong with my burned iso disc, but:
2.) Using the centOS boot disc as a boot point in VirtualBox works as expected. (This is on a different machine, but seems to suggest the disc's integrity is fine)
3.) I have also tried using the "Minimal" installation, but encountered the same problem.

I've been at this for a few hours worth of searching, but I can't seem to make any headway. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If there is any additional information I can provide to clarify the situation please let me know.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS DVD Installation - Unable to Boot

Post by TrevorH » 2017/07/19 08:38:39

What tool did you use to create the DVD from the iso image? When you look at the contents of the DVD, what do you see?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

hunter86_bg

Re: CentOS DVD Installation - Unable to Boot

Post by hunter86_bg » 2017/07/19 13:44:58

Could you boot from this DVD and try to verify it's contents from there (test this media and install CentOS 7).