Message About /boot/initramfs/*kdump.img

General support questions
simon_lefisch

Message About /boot/initramfs/*kdump.img

Post by simon_lefisch » 2017/08/13 16:41:52

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I started to receive this message after I restarted my machine and logged in:

Code: Select all

Broadcast message from systemd-journald@server (Sat 2017-08-12 11:29:04 PDT):

dracut[3530]: dracut: creation of /boot/initramfs-3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64kdump.img failed

Message from syslog@server at Aug 12 11:29:04...
 dracut: dracut: creation of /boot/initramfs-3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64kdump.img failed
Now I know it has something to do with the kernel and have tried Googling what this means but I am unable to find anything really. Tried looking for 'syslog' in /var/log but nothing exists. Would anyone be able to guide me to figure out what this means and where I can find logs for it?

Again I'm a novice at Linux but I do try to find solutions on my own before posting in the forums so forgive my noob-ness. Many thanks for the help :D
Hardware:
Supermicro X10SRi-F mobo
E5-2683v4 16-core CPU
112GB ECC RAM
2x 250GB SSD RAID1 (current CentOS 7 version)
2x 500GB SSD RAID1 (VM Disk Image Storage)
2x 4TB HDD RAID1 (Backup Storage via FreeNAS VM)
2X 6TB HDD RAID1 (Data Storage via FreeNAS VM)

dcrdev

Re: Message About /boot/initramfs/*kdump.img

Post by dcrdev » 2017/08/14 09:26:42

Well looks like you have kdump enabled and the creation of the kdump initrd image is failing for some reason. It'll only affect your ability to use kdump, but you should figure out why it's failing.

First thought - do you have enough free space on your boot partition? What's the output of:

df /boot
Failing that - find out what dracut is actually complaining about:

dracut -fv --regenerate-all

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/08/14 10:09:41

I wouldn't attempt to regenerate all while it's giving errors as that might kill all the ones that work now.

Most likely you've run out of space on /boot - the default size is now 1GB in 7.3 and was lower before. If you don't use kdump I would just kill it off and be done with the thing. One way is to run systemctl mask kdump which will stop it, or yum remove kexec-tools. You can also amend the crashkernel=auto parameter on the kernel command line to crashkernel=0@0 to get back the megabytes of memory it grabs and does nothing with.

Once it's disabled/removed you can rm /boot/*kdump*
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

simon_lefisch

Post by simon_lefisch » 2017/08/14 12:53:56

dcrdev wrote:Well looks like you have kdump enabled and the creation of the kdump initrd image is failing for some reason. It'll only affect your ability to use kdump, but you should figure out why it's failing.

First thought - do you have enough free space on your boot partition? What's the output of:

df /boot
TrevorH wrote:I wouldn't attempt to regenerate all while it's giving errors as that might kill all the ones that work now.

Most likely you've run out of space on /boot - the default size is now 1GB in 7.3 and was lower before. If you don't use kdump I would just kill it off and be done with the thing. One way is to run systemctl mask kdump which will stop it, or yum remove kexec-tools. You can also amend the crashkernel=auto parameter on the kernel command line to crashkernel=0@0 to get back the megabytes of memory it grabs and does nothing with.

Once it's disabled/removed you can rm /boot/*kdump*
Have plenty of space on /boot:

user@server:~$ df /boot
Filesystem     1K-blocks   Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1        1038336 153064    885272  15% /boot
Not sure why it started doing that. kdump is just used to debug, correct? The weird thing is I actually don't have a *kdump.img file of any sort in /boot.
Hardware:
Supermicro X10SRi-F mobo
E5-2683v4 16-core CPU
112GB ECC RAM

simon_lefisch

Post by simon_lefisch » 2017/08/16 03:53:34

@dcrdev @TrevorH

So I just figured out why I was getting that dracut message....after I ran 'systemctl restart kdump' the system threw an error stating that it couldn't restart the failure. Something about 'cp: command not found'. I remembered I disabled the cp command (renamed it to cp.bak) so I could use an alias of 'cp=rsync -va --progress <string>'. after I changed the alias to 'copy=rsync...' and renamed cp.bak to cp, I restarted the machine and the error was gone. Checked /boot and the *kdump.img file was there. Stoked I was able to figure it out and was an easy fix. Thanks for your guys' help. Everyday I'm learning new things with Linux :D
Hardware:
Supermicro X10SRi-F mobo
E5-2683v4 16-core CPU
112GB ECC RAM