No longer able to boot (power outage)

General support questions
L4celek

No longer able to boot (power outage)

Post by L4celek » 2017/08/19 09:11:33

Hi all,

So I turn my server back on and all I see is a flashing underscore. I have a few problems from here. I built this thing a few years ago and don't remember how I set it up. My original plan was to learn all about linux but I never found the time to do anything other than set up some virtuals which run my media setup. So I'm not even sure it was 7 I had on there.

I can see my drives during bootup (ASUS H87I-PLUS motherboard) and all are present. I've then created a bootable USB with Centos7 on it to run recovery. But after choosing to 'continue' it just scrolls for a long time (several hours, I might leave it overnight but..)

So I chose 'skip' and got to a command prompt where I could list my disks and see the logical volume my OS sits on.

But the doco I keep getting to when searching is quite different from what I am seeing when I boot from my USB

https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Inst ... bootloader

It says I can run 'linux repair' but neither VC1 or VC2 allows this command, so I suspect it is kind of dependant on the recovery utility to have done a little more.

Everything else I find appears to be for when you get as far as GRUB - can anyone point me in a better direction?