new CentOS user - point me in the right direction

General support questions
elsuavicito

new CentOS user - point me in the right direction

Post by elsuavicito » 2017/08/22 02:01:06

hello everyone - new CentOS user. Haven't touched Linux in several years and wanted to get back to it.

Had a couple issues with my new install, hoping people can point me in the right direction to learn something

Installed CentOS 7 minimal for the purpose of building it back up and reaquaint myself with Linux

1) sudo access
created root and myuser during the install
Logged in as root and did the following

usermod -aG wheel myuser

logged out, logged in as myuser and didn't have sudo or su access

rebooted and then I had access - what gives? Is there a way to just stop and start a service to reread my new group access?

2) No wireless usb mouse
did this as root:
yum install epel-release -y
yum groupinstall "Server with gui" -y
yum groupinstall Xfce -y

(I liked Xfce from my Xubuntu days)

changed default to graphical ... yadayada

rebooted and logged into Xfce - everything worked on my laptop, including the touchpad - but I dont like using the touchpad

Plugged in my usb wireless mouse, the usb stick lit up and then lit off - no mouse activity
changed to a different usb port - no dice

what do I do to get my mouse working? or any USB device I plug in for that matter.

3) switching wireless networks

I did my install during a work trip (I'm in a boring ass town)
I used my work provided Verizon wireless (mifi) WAP.

Now that I have the wireless working, how do I switch to the hotel wireless (which will ask me for a login/pass)
Just about everything I'm reading on the net is how to setup a wireless connection - but not how to switch over to another one.

I tried creating a new network connection via the network manager in Xfce, however I can't switch to it.

Help me out please? :D

Thanks in advance.

E