Mounted disks appear on desktop after update to 7.4

General support questions
rodrigo-gomes

Mounted disks appear on desktop after update to 7.4

Post by rodrigo-gomes » 2017/09/15 06:21:57

Hello guys,

The mounted disks on my server now appear on the desktop, as you can see in the attached print.

This happened after update from CentOS 7.3 to 7.4.
Why did this happen? How can I remove this from the desktop?
Attachments
print.png
print.png (59.37 KiB) Viewed 2931 times

rodrigo-gomes

Re: Mounted disks appear on desktop after update to 7.4

Post by rodrigo-gomes » 2017/09/15 06:53:42

And when I insert a cd, it's not automatically mounting as well.

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2017/09/15 06:59:15

rodrigo-gomes wrote:Why did this happen? How can I remove this from the desktop?
Why?
The gnome did update from 3.14 into 3.22. A lot of settings (and their defaults) must have changed.

How?
AFAIK, the desktop was managed by Nautilus in gnome, probably still is. (Cannot verify, I don't install GUI waste.)

rodrigo-gomes

Post by rodrigo-gomes » 2017/09/15 07:14:44

jlehtone wrote:How?
AFAIK, the desktop was managed by Nautilus in gnome, probably still is. (Cannot verify, I don't install GUI waste.)
Okay. If for you the GUI is a waste, for me it is a benefit.
I run when I want it, using "startx".

And this is an isolated problem, I have other machines with GUI that did not happened.

George99

Post by George99 » 2017/09/15 09:19:54

You can fine tune your desktop with the gnome-tweak-tool and choose whether you wish to see mounted disks or not. (besides other things)

rodrigo-gomes

Post by rodrigo-gomes » 2017/09/15 18:57:55

George99 wrote:You can fine tune your desktop with the gnome-tweak-tool and choose whether you wish to see mounted disks or not. (besides other things)
Hello George99,

Your suggestion did the trick. Thank you!
I was able to disable this on the desktop.

But the automatic mounting of the CD volume still does not work. :/
It stopped working after the update.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2017/09/15 20:19:38

rodrigo-gomes wrote:
George99 wrote:You can fine tune your desktop with the gnome-tweak-tool and choose whether you wish to see mounted disks or not. (besides other things)
Hello George99,

Your suggestion did the trick. Thank you!
I was able to disable this on the desktop.

But the automatic mounting of the CD volume still does not work. :/
It stopped working after the update.
I DON'T run GNOME but KDE so this may be different for you. That said I can't remember if GNOME has a "panel" on the bottom where you find time, date etc,etc, etc. If you DO there are a bunch of icons that tell you -- for instance -- if you are connected to the ethernet, sound levels, etc., etc., etc. there is one that should look like a sideways USB connection with a circle around it that tells you if you have any, "Connected Devices" . If you stick in a CD, USB, etc. it will automatically mount it and ask you what you want to view the contents with, (file viewer, etc. ) you can find the contents of the mounted USB, CD, etc., if you go to /run/media/[users name]/[mounted device] which if you click on that will show you all the content of the device. When you want to leave you need to get back to /run and unmount the device.

rodrigo-gomes

Post by rodrigo-gomes » 2017/09/15 21:33:56

desertcat wrote: I DON'T run GNOME but KDE so this may be different for you. That said I can't remember if GNOME has a "panel" on the bottom where you find time, date etc,etc, etc. If you DO there are a bunch of icons that tell you -- for instance -- if you are connected to the ethernet, sound levels, etc., etc., etc. there is one that should look like a sideways USB connection with a circle around it that tells you if you have any, "Connected Devices" . If you stick in a CD, USB, etc. it will automatically mount it and ask you what you want to view the contents with, (file viewer, etc. ) you can find the contents of the mounted USB, CD, etc., if you go to /run/media/[users name]/[mounted device] which if you click on that will show you all the content of the device. When you want to leave you need to get back to /run and unmount the device.
It has option to select how I would like to open certain files of removable media.
But I didn't find anything about mounting the disc automatically.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2017/09/17 02:25:51

You've lost me: The second you stick in whatever device you want -- CD, DVD, thumb drive, etc. -- it is automatically mounted. If you want to remove the CD,DVD,thumb drive, etc.m then you have to UNMOUNT it.

Now if you want to automatically mount a device PERMANENTLY that is a horse of a different color, then yes the item the CD or DVD device is going to appear on the desktop. If you would not want the device to appear on the desktop but be permanently mounted -- a strange idea -- you can try this:

Step 1:

Start the Application Launcher on the far left side of the Panel. Go to system settings click on it --> Under Workspace and Appearance locate Workspace Behavior click on it. It will give you a drop down menu. Select Virtual Desktops; check the box that says "Different widgets for each Desktop". Exit.

Result: You will now have TOTAL CONTROL over EACH VIRTUAL DESKTOP. You can have EACH Virtual Desktop have its OWN Wallpaper and its own set of Icons.

Step 2:

Go to the UPPER RIGHT HAND CORNER where it says NEW ACTIVITY and click on the Cashew. Click on UNLOCK WIDGETS. Select FOLDER VIEW SETTINGS. It will give you all types of options. Including all your Wallpapers, etc. Click on VIEW. Under View at the VERY TOP you will see LAYOUT. Next to Layout it will say Folder View. You are going to change this. Click on the DOWN ARROW. You will now have a whole lot of options. One option you will now see DEFAULT DESKTOP SETTINGS. CLICK ON IT!!! Now the Virtual Desktop will be a Complete Blank Slate - there will be nothing in it. This is where you can configure EACH Virtual Desktop to have its own set of individual Widgets and own individual Wallpaper giving Each Virtual Desktop it own Unique Look.

Step 3:

Configure EACH Virtual Desktop and change FOLDER VIEW --> DEFAULT DESKTOP SETTING. [ In case you are wondering the "Default" is "Folder View" which needs to be changed to "DEFAULT DESKTOP SETTING" . I know Strange.] During this phase is where you might want to Permanently Mount the CD or DVD using the Mount Command. Once you have permanently mounted the CD or DVD It will now appear on the FOLDER VIEW DESKTOP, but once you switch the Virtual Desktop to "DEFAULT DESKTOP SETTING" it will disappear yet will still be permanently mounted.

Step 4:

Having configured each Virtual Desktop to your liking go back to the Upper Right Hand Corner and click on the "Cashew" Now select "LOCK WIDGETS". Now you are DONE!!! Now go to any Virtual Desktop and select it and it will have the unique look and feel you gave it!!!.

If you are doing a million things at once like I do, each Virtual Desktop can have its own "Activity" or Special set of Icons. In my case I have "Office" and "Publishing" Icons; in another Virtual Desktop I have my "Internet" Icons; in another "VMWare's Virtual Machine Launcher"; in another "Skype"; in another "System Monitoring" Icons; in two others I have "Konsole" running for CLI work; and so on and so forth. Your computer becomes a Central Command, and you can change from activity to activity simply by changing to a different Virtual Desktop.

If this does not solve your problem I'm fresh out of ideas. Hope this helps.

rodrigo-gomes

Post by rodrigo-gomes » 2017/09/17 05:05:48

Hello desertcat,

I appreciate your help on this subject, and the time wasted to write all the steps.

But I can not follow the steps. I think we use different desktop.
I cant locate Under Workspace and Appearance.