Mounted disks appear on desktop after update to 7.4

General support questions
desertcat

Re: Mounted disks appear on desktop after update to 7.4

Post by desertcat » 2017/09/17 10:25:33

rodrigo-gomes wrote:Hello desertcat,

I appreciate your help on this subject, and the time wasted to write all the steps.

But I can not follow the steps. I think we use different desktop.
I cant locate Under Workspace and Appearance.

ACK!!!!!! I just switched to GNOME (I don't use ever, but for Guests familiar with Linux who have a preference for GNOME, MATE, Cinnamon, Xfce I have them available), I sort of found a back-door way in: You need to click on the square with all the little dots in it and then find KDE System Settings. There MUST be one in GNOME, but I could not find it. System Settings is where you configure the Desktop. This is where you configure things such as the number of Virtual Desktops, change Wallpapers, etc. If you can find the GNOME equivalent of the KDE System Settings that is where to start. It might take a little but of experimentation and research but you should -- in THEORY -- be able to do the exact same thing I did.

If there is *anyone* out there who knows BOTH KDE and GNOME maybe you can help this fellow. I've used KDE now for 17-18 years and simply never used GNOME, I simply can't help this fellow.

Sorry

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2017/09/17 10:46:47

Sort of as an after thought... Depending on how long you have been using Linux, have you tried KDE 4.x (Plasma)?
If you are rather new to Linux and not committed to a particular GUI consider experimenting with KDE. Of course you need to install it if it is not already installed. To install become root and issue the following command from a konsole:

yum groupinstall "KDE Plasma Workspaces"

hit ENTER and wait for it to install then logout and when it comes up select the Gear and Select "KDE Plasma" for the default startup GUI [You need to simply logout and select GNOME from the menu to get back into GNOME].

Sorry I could not be of better service.

rodrigo-gomes

Post by rodrigo-gomes » 2017/09/17 20:06:14

Hello desertcat,

I use GUI more for ease. But it's not totally important to me, considering that this is a server.

Unfortunately my problem is some bug, not a setup issue.
Because everything worked normally before the update.

But I appreciate your time and dedication in helping me. :)

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2017/09/18 22:57:08

I use GUI more for ease. But it's not totally important to me, considering that this is a server.

I don't think it is so much a "bug" as "feature creep". I've been using KDE for 17-18 years so that is about all I know. If this is a server and not wedded to a particular GUI install KDE... then again depending on the type of server -- single use vs multi-use -- this should not be a big problem. I use an OLD computer whose sole purpose is to act as a gateway server. It rarely is used if my entire network goes down any allows me to use the internet until I can get back up and running. I am in the process of rebuilding an old but vastly newer computer I found right outside the dumpster. It at least will be running CentOS 7.4 (!!!) but still its ONLY function is to serve as a gateway.

As to the drive on the Desktop... Fedora 8 (I think) had the same type of thing ie the various drives appeared on the Desktop in KDE The second you stuck something (Floppy, CD, USB, etc.) it mounted it. Unmounting it was another story.

Wish you luck. Hopefully you can find someone with knowledge of GNOME who can help you, but KDE 4.x is not that hard to use.

George99

Post by George99 » 2017/09/22 16:35:10

rodrigo-gomes wrote:
George99 wrote: But the automatic mounting of the CD volume still does not work. :/
It stopped working after the update.
Hard to say what happened.

I am working with a clean new installation of 7.4 with Gnome desktop and when I insert a CD it does get auto mounted.

Install the dconf-editor (it's kinda regedit.exe for Gnome) and search for automount it should be set to true.

/org/gnome/desktop/media-handling/