When we can see kernel 4 on CentOS 7

General support questions
hunter86_bg

Re: When we can see kernel 4 on CentOS 7

Post by hunter86_bg » 2017/09/18 13:54:00

Trevor is right, you need those patch files in order to use kpatch.
I have a Red Hat developer subscription and I have no access to the repo also.

Sadly you are out of luck.If you decide to use a 4.X kernel, we won't be able to help you in case of an issue.

macnux

Post by macnux » 2017/09/18 20:44:38

I think I read about something that simulates rebooting without rebooting the machine, but i don't remember anything about it.
Because server reboots and downtime is a big issue.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/09/18 21:04:11

So fix your set up so that it doesn't have a SPOF. Updating the kernel to something unsupported and without the hours of testing that Redhat do in order to eliminate a possible cause of downtime is probably not the best way to address the issue. Set up an HA environment so that you can minimize any downtime to seconds.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2017/09/18 21:32:22

macnux wrote:So how can I get this kernel patching feature on CentOS 7 for free?
Alternately if you don't mind living on the "Bleeding Edge" you could install Fedora -- mind you might do a whole lot of "bleeding", but at least you would have the kernel 4 series. Mind you I *use* to use Fedora, but I came to value my blood, which is WHY I switch to CentOS. Let other people be "Test Guinea Pigs" for Red Hat. Guess I must be get OLD as I now like STABILITY over "The Latest and Greatest". SIGH!!!!

Mike_Rochefort

Post by Mike_Rochefort » 2017/09/18 22:59:08

desertcat wrote:Guess I must be get OLD as I now like STABILITY over "The Latest and Greatest". SIGH!!!!
As someone with a ripe two decades under their existential belt, I can assure you it's your sanity pulling through. I used to use Fedora exclusively, then realized why my industry used CentOS/RHEL. Besides the minor desktop/workstation tidbits that are missing from more 'modern' distros, I wouldn't use anything else. It's too rock solid to mess up without really going at it. And bleeding edge... only if it floats your boat.

The one thing I do wish CentOS had would be KDE 5.8 or 5.10, I just love the aesthetic of the new version. I know KDE 4 by the end was fantastic, but I never dug too deep to care about all the little features. Gonna be full GNOME in a few days regardless. GNOME 3.22 in 7.4 opened up so many options for the desktop experience.
Solution Architect @RedHat | RHCE
Former SysAdmin @BlueSkyStudios and @Pixar
Feature animation and VFX enthusiast
--
Report CentOS Stream 8 bugs: https://da.gd/c8s-bugs
Report CentOS Stream 9 bugs: https://da.gd/c9s-bugs