Fix for Virtualbox no GUI after updates :)

General support questions
northpoint

Fix for Virtualbox no GUI after updates :)

Post by northpoint » 2017/09/20 00:04:46

I want to post this so that if any others run into this.

Problem: Installing Centos as a guest in Virtualbox runs fine. However, After updates and rebooting you have no GUI.

To get back into a GUI on centos as a guest you have to boot into non GUI mode and then install the Guest Additions and then boot back into GUI mode. After spending a few hours working on this I also noticed that the variable $KERN_DIR is not set because the proper kernel-devel or headers is not installed. When you do an update you get a new kernel and you have the matching headers(or kernel-devel) packages. However, you have no GUI.

Install Centos7 and perform updates. Do not reboot. Instead change the boot mode to multiuser:

systemctl set-default multi-user.target

Now reboot and you should come to a non-GUI login. Login as root and install kernel-devel. Then mount your Guest Additions iso and run the installer. The installer will now complete. After it completes change your setting back to a GUI bootup:

systemctl set-default graphical.target

Reboot and now the proper vbox-drv is loaded in the new kernel you should come up to a graphical login and then desktop.

I hope this helps others out there ;)

Northpoint
Ryzen x1800 * Asus x370 Pro * CentOS 7.4 64bit / Icewarp /