Installing Google Earth on CentOS 7

General support questions
desertcat

Installing Google Earth on CentOS 7

Post by desertcat » 2017/09/22 12:01:09

For reasons unknown I decided to try and install Google Earth for Linux on my CentOS 7.4 machine... and promptly ran into a roadblock. After much hacking about I fell across the way to successfully install Google Earth Pro.

1) GoTo --> https://www.google.com/earth/

2) Click on RESOURCES

3) GoTo --> Earth Pro on Desktop

4) Click on DOWNLOAD

5) Under "Please Select Your Download Package" Click on 64 bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE) and then hit "Agree and Download"

This will download a file called google-earth-pro-stable-current.x86_64.rpm to your /home/[user]/Downloads directory.

6) GoTo --> your /home/[user]/Downloads directory

7) as /root run yum install google-earth-pro-stable-current.x86_64.rpm

8) To start Google-Earth GoTo --> CentOS Launcher --> Internet click on it. Find 3-D Planet Viewer click on it, and this will start Google Earth

9)To make your life easier copy the Google-Earth Pro Icon to either your Panel or one of your Virtual Desktops.

Enjoy!!!

lightman47

Re: Installing Google Earth on CentOS 7

Post by lightman47 » 2017/09/22 12:32:36

For reasons unknown I decided to try and install Google Earth for Linux on my CentOS 7.4 machine... and promptly ran into a roadblock.
I installed the repo and discovered it didn't install completely when using 'sudo'. I forget the exact error; was some time ago. However, when I switched to root via 'su' all went well. {just a note of interest}

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2017/09/23 22:22:59

lightman47 wrote:
For reasons unknown I decided to try and install Google Earth for Linux on my CentOS 7.4 machine... and promptly ran into a roadblock.
I installed the repo and discovered it didn't install completely when using 'sudo'. I forget the exact error; was some time ago. However, when I switched to root via 'su' all went well. {just a note of interest}
I must of tried 12 different installs of Google Earth either 1) They did not install 2) They installed but would not start ( a very common complaint). Some of the problems resulted from requirements for 32 bit libraries, others for different reasons. This was an extremely frustrating experience, for that reason I decided to post the step-by-step method by which I was successfully not only to INSTALL Google Earth but also to get it to RUN in CentOS 7. That there were so many problems about installing and running Google Earth in Linux showed me I was not the only one. This should hopefully smooth the way for those people who for whatever reason wish to install and run Google Earth in CentOS. BTW you are right: I don't use sudo but su when switching to /root, but then again I've been using su forever.

Hopefully this will keep some poor soul from pulling out their hair.

warron.french

Post by warron.french » 2018/08/30 23:40:54

Great share @desertcat.

For those of you needing a more limited installation (not requiring the Internet to install from) you can use this link:
https://www.google.com/earth/download/gep/agree.html

Then you can click on the "Direct Installers page" link there; which will allow you to choose downloading a specific RPM; sans internet-required.
Thanks,
War

warron.french

Post by warron.french » 2018/10/30 00:02:55

Hey guys, I have had the requirement to work with Google Earth (generally speaking) in the last month.

I learned some things; because I work in isolated environments sometimes. Google Earth Pro simply did not work, because it did require access to the internet and that was the only way it worked; which was silly. I had no problems at all installing it; however, I executed

sudo su - to gain access to root; then executed the yum install command after that!

Also, I had to install Google Earth EC Stable; and that version, albeit does work with the internet databases, is capable of working with databases not connected to the internet with custom maps.

So here is what worked for me:

Code: Select all

sudo su -
yum install google-earth-ec-stable
I will say this though, there are "Google Earth EC Stable" RPMs you can download from the internet; and you technically do download them from the dl.google.com server; however, you click on the link to gain access to them from github.com instead.

Here are the steps to make it easy and repeatable:
  • 1. Google Search the following specifically: 'site:github.com Google Earth EC Stable for Linux'
    2. Search for your distribution's appropriate package.
    3. Download and install it.
Thanks,
War

lightman47

Post by lightman47 » 2018/10/30 00:12:14

While you may find work-arounds, Google Earth now seems to require Internet access to RUN. Install may work without access, but it wants Internet while it 's running. I suspect it has to do with ever changing map updates, as well as other things.

Pro installed and works well for me - until there's no Internet. The planet is visible, but it isn't many zooms before detail isn't available.

my 2 cents

warron.french

Post by warron.french » 2018/10/31 15:22:35

lightman47 wrote:
2018/10/30 00:12:14
While you may find work-arounds, Google Earth now seems to require Internet access to RUN. Install may work without access, but it wants Internet while it 's running. I suspect it has to do with ever changing map updates, as well as other things.

Pro installed and works well for me - until there's no Internet. The planet is visible, but it isn't many zooms before detail isn't available.

my 2 cents
Lightman47, sincerely and respectfully,

To be very clear, I think your definition of run means to see the globe and "pull places up on the map." Correct? You can still "run" Google Earth EC Stable without the internet; however, that requires your organization to have a "Map Server" of its own, and if it does, you point your Google Earth EC Stable client at it appropriately.

I do not know how that is done; however, I am positive that it is possible to do because I support an organization that does this, the responsibility of maintaining the "Map Server(s)" is not mine, and the responsibility of maintaining the client stop at the delivery of the correct RPM for this organization.
Thanks,
War

lightman47

Post by lightman47 » 2018/10/31 15:26:04

Nice to know, thank you.