Reset gnome3 to its default settings

General support questions
FranekW

Reset gnome3 to its default settings

Post by FranekW » 2017/12/09 13:42:49

Hi,

I recently tried to install Dropbox application by adding a repository and using yum. The application did not work and I had to uninstall it. However, the installation program left something in the system. Gnome 3 desktop is behaving really odd now. One of the odd things is the "Activities" button, which does not open a separate window with a list of applications (like Favourites) but brings the docked list of applications (left-hand side of the desktop)--this is the same behaviour as I would move a cursor to the upper left-hand side corner.

It's not urgent but it's bothering me a little bit. I was hoping to reset Gnome to its default state like I would log into Gnome for the first time. Is it possible?

Thanks

hunter86_bg

Re: Reset gnome3 to its default settings

Post by hunter86_bg » 2017/12/10 07:58:07

Maybe you should check in your home's hidden .config directory.
I have the following file
'~/.config/gconf/gnome-initial-setup-done'
Otherwise you can always move the whole directory and test.

FranekW

Re: Reset gnome3 to its default settings

Post by FranekW » 2017/12/11 09:56:22

I am not sure what I did but it must have been something to do with extra plugins. I am not quite a person who installs plugins but I remember I was messing a little bit with gnome-shell extensions. "Something" removed "Apllications" from the top bar, then bottom bar disappeared, then top bar disappeared as well. I eventually decided to reinstall system.

I tried to reproduce the problem and realised that there is a plugin called "Activities Configurator". It let you do a couple of things, among of which you can remove buttons e.g. "Applications", or add buttons like "Activities". And it must be what happened to me but I don't remember doing it explicitly :p

Thanks