Centos 7 install questions - thanks!

General support questions
jeffw_00

Centos 7 install questions - thanks!

Post by jeffw_00 » 2017/12/13 18:49:31

Hi - I've followed some links on how to install Centos 7, and the ones I've found are pretty basic. Maybe there's a good install guide somewhere (if so, please point me to it?) But I have two questions

a) any prep I need to do before starting install. Or install tips?

b) Which Centos to install? This machine is not part of larger organization. it's 100% purpose is to run some FPGA CAD tools (Quartus, Modelsim), both command-line and GUI. It will run those tools, and emacs, and very little else. (although those tools expect a lot of libraries to be in place so the entire RedHat install should be there, I think?). All access is by multiple simultaneous users via VNC. So we need desktops (whatever the default was in Centos 5.6 is fine).

So -minimal? "Infrastructure Server? Gnome Desktop? (note that this machine will normally not have a monitor attached to it, so I don't want to configure as single-user interactive system) Which options, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide -

/j

jeffw_00

Re: Centos 7 install questions - thanks!

Post by jeffw_00 » 2017/12/14 18:55:44

no one? :-(

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Centos 7 install questions - thanks!

Post by TrevorH » 2017/12/14 22:02:22

Download the 4GB "DVD" iso image and use that for the install. Pick the role that you feel most comfortable with. Minimal is extremely minimal and will require some fairly in-depth knowledge to configure it and set it up the way you want it.

If the things you want to install are packaged as rpms then they should pull in all the dependencies they require when you yum install the packages (don't use rpm).
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke