yum install ssmtp doesn't find anything? [solved]

General support questions
jeffw_00

Re: yum install ssmtp doesn't find anything?

Post by jeffw_00 » 2017/12/16 15:35:56

Ok - First - THANKS so much for your help - really!. So - more detail - -many- of those I listed were for my legacy app, and I actually don't want any of those updated as the app won't be. A couple were to get tkdiff running (I looked on the web unsuccessfully for the "CentOS" way to do this, if there is a Centos way pleas enlighten me), and a couple were to get evtest going, which it turns out I don't need.

:Point is - I'm perfectly willing to back all this out and start over, and this may seem like stupid Qn #101, but how do I undo what I've done and uninstall all of these. I'm happy to

a) uninstall all of these (please tell me how)
b) install TKDiff in the correct method (please tell me how)
c) use yum (as it should work now) to install what i need to my legacy app. My app needs

libstdc++-4.8.5-16.el7.i686.rpm
libgcc-4.8.5-16.el7.i686.rpm
ncurses-libs-5.9-13.20130511.el7.i686.rpm
zlib-1.2.7-17.el7.i686.rpm
compat-expat1-1.95.8-16.el7.nux.i686.rpm
libXpm-3.5.12-1.el7.i686.rpm
XFree86-libs-4.3-5mdk.i586.rpm <= there might be another way around this

So if you can answer a) and b) that would be awesome - I'd like to do this right
/j

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/12/16 15:46:05

If your app is packaged then the clean way to install it is to point yum at the package and install it that way - e.g. yum install /path/to/myapp.1.2.3.rpm. Doing it this way will pull in any dependencies that CentOS supplies from the CentOS yum repos (and any others that you have installed).

To uninstall packages you would use yum remove and specify the package name(s). Remember to read the list of things it will remove carefully before you reply Y and do NOT use yum -y remove. Do not reply Y if it lists packages that you think you need.

You really do want updates to installed packages. What happens if there is a massive security hole discovered in one of the things you've downloaded but do not get from a repo? It'll stay as a massive security hole on your system and will not get patched.

I don't see tkdiff packaged for CentOS at all. The solution to that would generally be to download the Fedora SRPM (not rpm) and use the mock utility to rebuild that for CentOS. It's now your responsibility to track security updates for that and rebuild as required.

You do not want XFree86-libs installed at all. We don't use XFree86 as that dates back about 20 years. The current version of what used to be XFree86 is xorg-x11 and there are many many packages in the CentOS repos for that. Hopefully 'yum install yourpackage' will pull in the more modern version of an xorg-x11 package.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 » 2017/12/16 15:51:29

ok - I will attack this slowly and carefully - thanks!

There is no graphical diff package for Centos? That's kinda hard to believe...

(perhaps it's part of the tk package)

will let you know how it turns out

best
/j

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/12/16 16:44:52

There is no graphical diff package for Centos? That's kinda hard to believe...
Well, that's a different question. Try yum search diff and see what you get from that. It'll find some things that are not at all applicable but others that might fit the bill.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 » 2017/12/16 18:03:07

Ok - it all worked - things are installed properly now- thanks for all your help