CentOS 7 USB and udev

General support questions
expat42451

CentOS 7 USB and udev

Post by expat42451 » 2017/12/22 20:59:03

First, Merry Christmas to all here on the forum, hoping your Holidays are Blessed and happy....

I have an interesting problem with an application that needs a device on USB and am unsure of how to address it, primarily because of my unfamiliarity with SELinux and what may or may not be allowed under the default install settings.

CentOS updated on an Asus z97 Mk1 platform. The application runs as code that is a part of Google Chrome browser. The application is access for a Ledger Nano S hardware wallet for cryptocurrencies. The Nano S looks like a large USB drive but is a crypto device that stores crypto. The companion applications (one for each currency BTC, ETH, XRP &c&c) run as separate applications under Google to enable interacting with the Nano to store and remove currencies safely.

On the Ledger site here
https://ledger.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/art ... -on-Linux-
is their page for udev rules for allowing their devices to talk with the apps running under Google Chrome. This will give you an idea of their recommended configuration. On this machine under Manjaro, this configuration works. However one of the reasons I installed CentOS was to have a more secure environment for trading cryptos out of the box. I am triple boot, CentOS, Manjaro and Windows.
Here is the ID from lsusb -v

Manufacturer: Ledger
Serial #: 0001
Class 0
((Defined at Interface level))
Subclass0
Protocol0
USB Version2.00
Vendor ID0x2c97
Product ID0x1
Revision0.00
Speed12 Mbit/s
Channels0
Max. Packet Size64

is the device descriptor. In udev I have used the following rules

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c97", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", MODE="0660", GROUP="users"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c97", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", MODE="0660", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"
KERNEL=="hidraw*", SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c97"

and I still can not get the apps to see the device. At this point I am at a loss for where to look to find the problem.

Any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
Again, Warmest Regards to all for the Holiday Season and many thanks for the community making my introduction to CentOS a great experience.

Expat