CentOS 7 fails to boot after updating to kernel-3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64

General support questions
Mike_Rochefort
Posts: 57
Joined: 2016/03/16 02:34:19

Re: CentOS 7 fails to boot after updating to kernel-3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64

Postby Mike_Rochefort » 2018/01/10 15:31:01

Don’t mix kmod with the self-downloaded driver, they are two separate paths. Keep them that way.

As to the kernel flags, press ‘e’ when on the grub menu and the kernel you want is selected. Then look for the line starting with linux, linux16, or linuxefi depending on your install. You will probably have to scroll down to parts not onscreen yet.

In regards to your new flags, it should be rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau.

paco
Posts: 12
Joined: 2018/01/08 12:06:23

Re: CentOS 7 fails to boot after updating to kernel-3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64

Postby paco » 2018/01/11 08:38:58

Hi Mike,
Thank you. I didn't mix up kmod with the self-downloaded driver, never.
Image
Even if I press ‘e’ when on the grub menu on whatever kernel I select nothing change: it goes to black and even hitting CTRL+ALT+F2 doesn't switch to runlevel 3 and the only one thing I can do is restart the workstation, except for the rescue one which if I remove rhgb quiet it hangs at this point:
Image
And here if I press CTRL+ALT+F2 it does switch to runlevel 3 where I tried to reinstall kmod-nvidia, nvidia-x11-drv.x86_64 and also remove the latest kernel or downgrading the linux-firmware.., but nothing change.. everything still the same...
Any other suggestions about it?
Thank you so much

hmg22
Posts: 22
Joined: 2012/10/25 08:40:52

Re: CentOS 7 fails to boot after updating to kernel-3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64

Postby hmg22 » 2018/01/11 09:50:50

BS"D

If you are already trying to start again, you should be aware that in the initial installation menu, where you see text, go down to "Troubleshooting",
and there, choose the basic graphic mode installation option (sorry, don't have it in front of me now, so I don't remember exactly how they phrase it). This avoids nouveau entirely, which is good when you want to use an Nvidia driver. You then don't have to mess with the grub configuration at all.
Does that help you?
HMG

paco
Posts: 12
Joined: 2018/01/08 12:06:23

Re: CentOS 7 fails to boot after updating to kernel-3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64

Postby paco » 2018/01/11 10:35:36

Hey man, thanks for you reply.
I did already the installation on the new ssd, it works fine without make the latest update done as listed from my previous post.
Now I'm focusing on the main topic on the first ssd...and it seems that the system is crashing.

I hope in some new idea..

desertcat
Posts: 303
Joined: 2014/08/07 02:17:29

Re: CentOS 7 fails to boot after updating to kernel-3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64

Postby desertcat » 2018/01/12 11:39:54

paco wrote:Hi Mike,
Thank you. I didn't mix up kmod with the self-downloaded driver, never.
Image
Even if I press ‘e’ when on the grub menu on whatever kernel I select nothing change: it goes to black and even hitting CTRL+ALT+F2 doesn't switch to runlevel 3 and the only one thing I can do is restart the workstation, except for the rescue one which if I remove rhgb quiet it hangs at this point:
Image
And here if I press CTRL+ALT+F2 it does switch to runlevel 3 where I tried to reinstall kmod-nvidia, nvidia-x11-drv.x86_64 and also remove the latest kernel or downgrading the linux-firmware.., but nothing change.. everything still the same...
Any other suggestions about it?
Thank you so much


I was just quickly looking at your post. This may -- or may not -- seem obvious, but you might have run out of boot space. Use some type of Utility disk such as Knoppix, and then find the /boot partition. Chances are good you are at 100% capacity. In that case copy some of your oldest kernels to some backup space and get it down to 50% of capacity and then reboot.

paco
Posts: 12
Joined: 2018/01/08 12:06:23

Re: CentOS 7 fails to boot after updating to kernel-3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64

Postby paco » 2018/01/15 22:35:30

Hi desertcat,
Thank you so much for your help.

It's sounds interesting the fact that it could be out of boot space...mm ok.
I'll get back to you once done.

Thanks a lot!

desertcat
Posts: 303
Joined: 2014/08/07 02:17:29

Re: CentOS 7 fails to boot after updating to kernel-3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64

Postby desertcat » 2018/01/16 06:22:15

paco wrote:Hi desertcat,
Thank you so much for your help.

It's sounds interesting the fact that it could be out of boot space...mm ok.
I'll get back to you once done.

Thanks a lot!


Do let me know. I've hit that wall before. Pre 7.4 RH recommended that /boot = 500MB, now they recommend a minimum of 1 GB. Looking at your screen dump you had something 4-5 kernels which would be pushing the upper limits of your boot partition. Knoppix is a great utility to have on hand.

Curious.

Desertcat

paco
Posts: 12
Joined: 2018/01/08 12:06:23

Re: CentOS 7 fails to boot after updating to kernel-3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64

Postby paco » 2018/01/16 22:52:27

Hi desertcat,
I did it!!

Code: Select all

package-cleanup --oldkernels --count=2

In yum.conf

Code: Select all

installonly_limit=2

Unfortunately nothing change...

desertcat
Posts: 303
Joined: 2014/08/07 02:17:29

Re: CentOS 7 fails to boot after updating to kernel-3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64

Postby desertcat » 2018/01/17 06:56:58

paco wrote:Hi desertcat,
I did it!!

Code: Select all

package-cleanup --oldkernels --count=2

In yum.conf

Code: Select all

installonly_limit=2

Unfortunately nothing change...


Sorry man... Bummer. Out of Curiosity how much free space do you now have in /boot?

paco
Posts: 12
Joined: 2018/01/08 12:06:23

Re: CentOS 7 fails to boot after updating to kernel-3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64

Postby paco » 2018/01/17 09:38:37

Hi desertcat,
861MB of free space.