LiveGNOME image won't boot from USB drive in UEFI mode

General support questions
atfrase

LiveGNOME image won't boot from USB drive in UEFI mode

Post by atfrase » 2018/01/16 20:41:33

I have downloaded the latest LiveGNOME image "CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveGNOME-1708.iso" and written it to a USB drive using dd on linux, but I cannot get my Lenovo T570 to boot that USB drive in UEFI mode.

If I set the machine's boot mode to UEFI/CSM or Legacy BIOS it boots the USB to the live GNOME desktop, but not in UEFI mode (which leads to the installer demanding a biosboot partition, which I'm trying to avoid). When I change the boot mode to UEFI only with CSM disabled, it skips the USB drive in the boot order and, if I manually trigger the boot device list and explicitly choose the USB drive to boot, it just flickers and goes back to the boot device list without proceeding.

I also tried writing the ISO to the USB drive using Rufus and WIn32 Disk Imager on Windows with the same results. I haven't tried any of the other images because I think I need the live environment to set up what I'm trying to do, which is install CentOS7 as a dual boot option on an existing Win10 machine.

Any ideas? Thanks!

avij
Retired Moderator

Re: LiveGNOME image won't boot from USB drive in UEFI mode

Post by avij » 2018/01/16 21:24:32

No, the Live images do not have any particular advantages over the other images in this dual boot scenario. Please use the DVD image instead, it should boot in UEFI mode.

atfrase

Post by atfrase » 2018/01/16 22:31:34

I'll try that, but the issue I had the last time I did this (with Win7 and an earlier build of CentOS7) and the reason I ended up using the LiveGNOME image is that I'm trying to get both dual-boot OSes to be encrypted. To do that, I needed easy access to a terminal in the middle of the install process to configure the LUKS partition and LVM volume, and to restore the Windows bootloader after overwriting it with GRUB but before rebooting, in order for Bitlocker to still work on the Windows side. Hopefully I can still do all that using the regular DVD installer.

Is there no plan to make the Live image UEFI-bootable? That would make this whole process much easier, I think.

owl102

Post by owl102 » 2018/01/16 22:41:49

atfrase wrote:and to restore the Windows bootloader after overwriting it with GRUB but before rebooting
When installing CentOS in UEFI mode the Windows bootloader won't be overwritten. Instead, Grub gets installed on the ESP (EFI System Partition) side-by-side with the Microsoft Windows bootloader.
German speaking forum for Fedora and CentOS: https://www.fedoraforum.de/