Tiered storage

General support questions
MrM

Tiered storage

Post by MrM » 2018/01/17 11:04:31

Hello,
yesterday I ran away from Gentoo. Errors during portage update and lack of installer affected my decision. So here I am...with centos 7 installed and a question.

QNap has a solution called Qtier, which handles storage tiering. One could stack SSD over HDD and hot data would be automatically moved to the fast SSD drive. I have found that QNap device has a process called dm-tier running, which could be the thing I'm looking for. Google says nothing about it, so either I'm missing something or it is a proprietary solution. Anyway how can I implement tiered storage in Centos ?

pjwelsh

Re: Tiered storage

Post by pjwelsh » 2018/01/17 15:27:04

Qtier is a proprietary disk system it seems. Are you wanting many disk like that or are you looking to just use an SSD as a large high performance disk cache (like bcache, lvmcache, and EnhanceIO)?

I, like you, found some limited info depending on what you are trying to do. One interesting option that I did not dig further in too was lvmts (with lvmtsd). GlusterFS seems to has some HSM concepts in it. Also, ZFS has some HSM potential depending.

Keep us informed of what you find. It is an interesting topic.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Tiered storage

Post by TrevorH » 2018/01/17 16:44:56

The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke