Noob questions - New CentOS user

General support questions
cristian.ene

Noob questions - New CentOS user

Post by cristian.ene » 2018/02/15 13:38:45

Hi,

I have just installed CentOS, and i'm relatively new to Linux.
I'm running CentOS 7 on a Core I5 machine, 64 bits.

I have the following issues:

I can't install any software using application installer.

I want to run a command every time the system boots, and I don't know how to do that.

Code: Select all

/opt/dropbox/dropboxd

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Noob questions - New CentOS user

Post by TrevorH » 2018/02/15 14:16:42

I can't install any software using application installer.
With what symptoms? Try it instead from a root command prompt using the yum command - e.g. yum update or yum install $whatever
I want to run a command every time the system boots, and I don't know how to do that.
For dropbox, it would be nice if they integrated this into their rpm packages but it appears they don't. I had a quick google around and the instructions on https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... n-centos-7 don't look too horrendous so I'd try those.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

cristian.ene

Post by cristian.ene » 2018/02/15 14:30:36

Hi Trevor,

yesterday when i was trying to install stuff, it didn't work... now it does. So first issue got solved by itself, on all 4 laptops

Now, in regards to the second issue, i used that particular webpage when I installed dropbox.
The issue is that after you restart the computer, the link is "gone", you have to reinitialize that command.
That's the reason why I wanted to find a way to have that command run automatically when I reboot.

Any clues on how to fix it?

PS... Thank you for assisting.

cristian.ene

Post by cristian.ene » 2018/02/17 10:28:33

To the top!

Can anyone teach me how to have that running at all times OR... install dropbox without any issues? Having the stuff working whenever I restart the computer is a must have.

I'm donating 3USD on paypal to the person that will assist me :)

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/02/17 12:16:10

cristian.ene wrote:To the top!

Can anyone teach me how to have that running at all times OR... install dropbox without any issues? Having the stuff working whenever I restart the computer is a must have.

I'm donating 3USD on paypal to the person that will assist me :)
???? Hummmmmm????

Since I'm kind of foggy what type of machine you have -- Desktop or Laptop -- and if you are talking about a local machine or a virtual machine I'm going to try to answer your question as best I can.

If you have a Desktop machine the answer is to just leave the machine on and don't turn it off. My workstation runs 24/7/365. The ONLY times it is shut down is for its twice yearly maintenance, and then briefly every time the kernel is updated when I reboot the machine. If you properly configure your machine with several Virtual Desktops it is easy to multitask . Dedicate one virtual desktop for your VM, start it up and let it run. Likewise with other "dedicated" activities -- simply put each in their own dedicated Virtual Desktop. There is really no need to shut anything down. The ONLY thing that I turn OFF are the two monitors. In the morning you punch on the monitors and you are exactly right where you left off the the night before. Too IF you DO turn off the machine, when you reboot the machine next morning many, but not all, apps will simply return you to the last place you were. The exception to that are VM though even with them your configuration files have been saved.

My sister has a bargain basement "Dell from Hell" that runs Windows 7 [snort], at least once and sometimes two or three times a day she shuts down the computer. ie after every "session" she shuts down the computer. If it is left on she says it throws a hissy fit at some point.

Now if you are talking about a laptop.... yeah you are going to have to turn off the computer, but it will return you right to where you left off when you reboot the machine. A VM however while the config files have been saved, any links probably will be lost unless they have been written to a config file, if not the answer would be to write a batch file that runs at start up -- think autoexec.bat and config.sys files from the days of DOS if you are old enough to remember DOS. The link will be lost at shutdown but during bootup the batch file is run starting up any links or whatever -- even the VM if you so choose. I can't remember if I've written a batch file in Linux, but I remember I wrote a few when I ran DOS. Someone here could probably help you with writing the Linux equivalent of a DOS batch file.

Hopes this gives you some ideas worth considering,