Mysterious 12 minute pause in boot

General support questions
hunter86_bg

Re: Mysterious 12 minute pause in boot

Post by hunter86_bg » 2018/02/23 05:03:36

What is the output of

Code: Select all

rpm -V $(rpm -qa |grep systemd)
Also , consider reinstalling all packages that contain 'systemd' in their name + 'glibc' .

ktrampe

Post by ktrampe » 2018/02/23 16:11:58

hunter86_bg wrote:What is the output of

Also , consider reinstalling all packages that contain 'systemd' in their name + 'glibc' .
The output is:

.......T.  c /etc/rc.d/rc.local

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/02/24 02:27:21

ktrampe wrote:
hunter86_bg wrote:What is the output of

The output is:

.......T.  c /etc/rc.d/rc.local
I must confess you have us stumped. So let me *try* to summarize what we know:

1) The CentOS 7 installation is located on a Virtual Machine, and not a physical machine. Is this correct?

2) Before you get a chance to login the machine freezes for 12 minutes. Is this correct?

Just for fun IF -- BIG IF -- this is indeed a VM have you tried to create a NEW VM to see if you still have a problem?!? From all indications it *seems* as though what you are experiencing is during the boot phase where the computer is starting up various services it tries to start a service, but can't until it "times out" at which point continues with the start up services until it reaches a login screen. The most common service I have experienced this with deals with ntpd. A second one I have experienced this with though not as frequently with is "cups" the printer service. Your log files *should* narrow down which service is the offender, failing that you could simply turn off ALL non-essential services in hopes of skipping past the 12 minute hang up, and if so then turning each one back on step by step and rebooting the machine each time until you stumble upon that service which produces the hang up.

IF this is indeed a VM and not a physical machine, the easiest thing to do is simply create a NEW VM as a "test" machine, and see if you still have the problem. If NOT then you can conclude you probably screwed something up during the install phase; if you still have the problem then you can conclude that the problem is probably hardware related.

Best of Luck

hunter86_bg

Post by hunter86_bg » 2018/02/25 07:08:17

As per the plot -> the problem is during systemd initialization... So it's far too earlier than the time services.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/02/25 08:04:17

hunter86_bg wrote:As per the plot -> the problem is during systemd initialization... So it's far too earlier than the time services.
Good point. So referring to the graph what ever happens, starts at the 6.7 sec mark of the boot process, that means that it is one of the very early services that get loaded that is causing the problem. I suspect that it is a non-essential service since it times out and then continues on to the login. What what point is the network protocol called?

As per the plot I am suspecting that it was Dr. Gold and he did it in the Computer lab with a SATA cable.

hunter86_bg

Post by hunter86_bg » 2018/02/25 11:15:55

Still the kernel log might help

journalctl -k
Also appending these:

rd.shell rd.debug log_buf_len=1M
to the kernel line with the removal of

rhgb quiet
could bring more light to the case.

Source: How to debug Dracut problems

glennzo

Post by glennzo » 2018/02/25 13:03:00

Could the machine in question be trying to mount a local partition that no longer exists? I've had some long boot delays when a local share has suddenly disappeared, usually due to my own missteps. More like a 5 minute delay for me, never 12 minutes.