Will I have a problem if I install KDE since Gnome installed

General support questions
rtcary

Will I have a problem if I install KDE since Gnome installed

Post by rtcary » 2018/02/23 00:56:35

I have done a recent install of Centos 7 with Gnome included, however I am finding that some functions do not work [see a prior posting], in particular the Users and Groups function. I'd like to try KDE, however I'm not a Linux guru and do not want to get into trouble if I install KDE on top of Gnome.

If I install KDE, are any potential problems that could happen?

Is there a way to switch between them and make one the preferred?

\rtc

desertcat

Re: Will I have a problem if I install KDE since Gnome installed

Post by desertcat » 2018/02/23 05:55:36

rtcary wrote:I have done a recent install of Centos 7 with Gnome included, however I am finding that some functions do not work [see a prior posting], in particular the Users and Groups function. I'd like to try KDE, however I'm not a Linux guru and do not want to get into trouble if I install KDE on top of Gnome.

If I install KDE, are any potential problems that could happen?

Is there a way to switch between them and make one the preferred?

\rtc

I think you are confusing something. Both KDE and GNOME (and Mate, Cinnamon, etc. etc., etc., are Graphical User Interfaces (GUI's), there fore you can't install one GUI "on top of" another. KDE and GNOME (..and Mate, Cinnamon, etc.) are to SEPARATE GUI, thus you can install. To switch from one GUI to another simple either reboot the machine or logout, before for you log back in, select which GUI you want to use then enter your Secret Sauce Password, and it will come up in the GUI you selected.

For example I have KDE, GNOME Xfce , Mate, Cinnamon and maybe one more all installed. Why?? While I use KDE, I occasionally have people over. I have a guest account on the machine and if they have a preference I simply set the GUI to whatever they prefer. To install KDE on your system run yum groupinstall "KDE Plasma Workspaces". Once you have KDE installed reboot the machine and before you sign in set the GUI to "KDE Plasma" enter your Secret Sauce Password, hit ENTER and then Welcome to KDE!!!