Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

General support questions
kfennell
Posts: 3
Joined: 2018/03/06 10:24:37

Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

Postby kfennell » 2018/03/06 10:59:55

I've been at it for a few days now.
I have a new laptop: Asus Vivobook F510U.
I installed Ubuntu directly onto the disk, wiping out windows. Just wanted to try a few things, before installing CentOS to begin studying for RHCSA.
Downloaded the CentOS7-Minimal ISO and used the dd command to create a bootable USB stick.
Here comes the problem: I rebooted to the USB and get the Grub. Press enter on Install CentOS7, I can see the usb blink for a few moments then go dark. And thats when I get the following Kernel Panic .
IMG_0583-1.jpg
IMG_0583-1.jpg (216.07 KiB) Viewed 841 times

Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal Exception
Kernel Offset: disabled

Tried redownloading the ISO -> same result
Tried using the Everything ISO -> same result
Tried using the Netinstall ISO -> same result
Tried modifying some settings in the BIOS but not sure what if anything is causing this.-> same result
Tried burning the ISO to DVD to eliminate the usb as cause -> same result
Tried using an older version of CentOS6 -> same result
Tried with Fedora -> This was fine. Installed with no problems and is the current OS I'm now on.
Repeated above CentOS instalations again -> same result
Tried installing CentOS7 as a VM -> this was fine! So why can't I install directly on the hard disk?

I'm all out of ideas and I can't find a case that is like mine. What makes CentOS different than Fedora or Ubuntu that would cause this?

User avatar
TrevorH
Forum Moderator
Posts: 22600
Joined: 2009/09/24 10:40:56
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

Postby TrevorH » 2018/03/06 11:33:50

A WAG, try appending acpi=off to your kernel command line at the grub boot menu.
CentOS 5 died in March 2017 - migrate NOW!
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

kfennell
Posts: 3
Joined: 2018/03/06 10:24:37

Re: Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

Postby kfennell » 2018/03/06 13:06:57

Like this
(don't know why this img is upside down...lol)
IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0599.JPG (60.04 KiB) Viewed 828 times

tried it a few times. not sure if I did it right but it didn't seem to change the outcome.

User avatar
TrevorH
Forum Moderator
Posts: 22600
Joined: 2009/09/24 10:40:56
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

Postby TrevorH » 2018/03/06 16:03:49

No. Wait for the menu to appear with the choices of kernel on it then hit 'e' to edit, page down to the current kernel entry and locate the line that starts either linux16 or linuxefi and scroll to the end of that and append acpi=off to it then hit ctrl-x to boot up.

Ah, wait, I just spotted that this is the installer so it may not have a grub menu if it's not booting in UEFI mode. When you see the first boot menu that has 3 choices: install, verify+install or troubleshooting, hilight the install option then hit the tab key and then add the acpi=off to the end of that.
CentOS 5 died in March 2017 - migrate NOW!
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

kfennell
Posts: 3
Joined: 2018/03/06 10:24:37

Re: Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

Postby kfennell » 2018/03/07 11:50:59

TrevorH wrote:No. Wait for the menu to appear with the choices of kernel on it then hit 'e' to edit, page down to the current kernel entry and locate the line that starts either linux16 or linuxefi and scroll to the end of that and append acpi=off to it then hit ctrl-x to boot up.


You nailed it! Followed this and it loaded the installer. Thanks Trevor! :)
Unfortunately, it appears to have disabled my trackpad.... :(
I have a bluetooth mouse that works with it though.

Bhuvn
Posts: 4
Joined: 2018/04/25 18:19:19

Re: Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

Postby Bhuvn » 2018/04/25 18:27:57

kfennell wrote:
TrevorH wrote:No. Wait for the menu to appear with the choices of kernel on it then hit 'e' to edit, page down to the current kernel entry and locate the line that starts either linux16 or linuxefi and scroll to the end of that and append acpi=off to it then hit ctrl-x to boot up.


You nailed it! Followed this and it loaded the installer. Thanks Trevor! :)
Unfortunately, it appears to have disabled my trackpad.... :(
I have a bluetooth mouse that works with it though.


I did acpi=off but still i am facing same problem. I pressed e afeter selction install centos 7 then i got menu i added acpi=off and press crtl+x. But i am still facing same problem

User avatar
TrevorH
Forum Moderator
Posts: 22600
Joined: 2009/09/24 10:40:56
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

Postby TrevorH » 2018/04/25 18:39:39

Do you have the exact same crash screen? Or processor?
CentOS 5 died in March 2017 - migrate NOW!
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

Bhuvn
Posts: 4
Joined: 2018/04/25 18:19:19

Re: Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

Postby Bhuvn » 2018/05/03 10:39:22

Bhuvn wrote:
kfennell wrote:
TrevorH wrote:No. Wait for the menu to appear with the choices of kernel on it then hit 'e' to edit, page down to the current kernel entry and locate the line that starts either linux16 or linuxefi and scroll to the end of that and append acpi=off to it then hit ctrl-x to boot up.


You nailed it! Followed this and it loaded the installer. Thanks Trevor! :)
Unfortunately, it appears to have disabled my trackpad.... :(
I have a bluetooth mouse that works with it though.


I did acpi=off but still i am facing same problem. I pressed e afeter selction install centos 7 then i got menu i added acpi=off and press crtl+x. But i am still facing same problem

:P :x :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

User avatar
TrevorH
Forum Moderator
Posts: 22600
Joined: 2009/09/24 10:40:56
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

Postby TrevorH » 2018/05/03 13:13:59

Do you have the exact same crash screen? Or processor?
CentOS 5 died in March 2017 - migrate NOW!
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

Bhuvn
Posts: 4
Joined: 2018/04/25 18:19:19

Re: Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

Postby Bhuvn » 2018/05/06 12:20:10

TrevorH wrote:Do you have the exact same crash screen? Or processor?

Yes same problem