Server GUI... I am so lost!

General support questions
peanut42

Server GUI... I am so lost!

Post by peanut42 » 2018/03/08 14:41:55

Hello,

I installed the OS from the DVD and got (very) carried away with all the options you can choose during the installation.

Initially, I wanted to use CentOS as a hypervisor after hearing people dream about ovirt... but during the installation I saw that there was already an option ready to go, all I need to do is to set the check mark. Thereafter I saw the "server with a gui" option and thought to myself, great, now I can click on all the options I would like to explore and there will be some kind of corresponding program in the UI and now I can ditch the ovirt thought.

Now I am logged in and seeing only a minimal set of utilities and programs (for GNOME I guess?) and nothing that corresponds to all the options I selected during the installation.

So my TLDR question is: You just have to know all the packages for CentOS ahead of time and know which option corresponds to whatever package? Knowing however what I selected would be a great help to get "learned in some CentOS".

This is my first time playing with CentOS and I have no clue! I tried looking for documentation but all I found was the how-to page which is cool, but only assumes you have the minimal install. Any hints or pointing in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

hunter86_bg

Re: Server GUI... I am so lost!

Post by hunter86_bg » 2018/03/10 05:56:20

I still don't get what you arr trying to accomplish. Can you be more specific?
If you want to use your machine as Hypervisour , you need to check if your cpu has the virtualization flag.
Afterwards, it's just a

Code: Select all

yum install "Virtualization Host"

desertcat

Re: Server GUI... I am so lost!

Post by desertcat » 2018/03/11 08:50:16

peanut42 wrote:Hello,

I installed the OS from the DVD and got (very) carried away with all the options you can choose during the installation.

Initially, I wanted to use CentOS as a hypervisor after hearing people dream about ovirt... but during the installation I saw that there was already an option ready to go, all I need to do is to set the check mark. Thereafter I saw the "server with a gui" option and thought to myself, great, now I can click on all the options I would like to explore and there will be some kind of corresponding program in the UI and now I can ditch the ovirt thought.

Now I am logged in and seeing only a minimal set of utilities and programs (for GNOME I guess?) and nothing that corresponds to all the options I selected during the installation.

So my TLDR question is: You just have to know all the packages for CentOS ahead of time and know which option corresponds to whatever package? Knowing however what I selected would be a great help to get "learned in some CentOS".

This is my first time playing with CentOS and I have no clue! I tried looking for documentation but all I found was the how-to page which is cool, but only assumes you have the minimal install. Any hints or pointing in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Like hunter86 I'm kind of stumped. Are you trying to use it as a server? Desktop? Workstation? What type of equipment are you trying to load it on?? If you are trying to use the machine to create a lot of Virtual Machines you need a machine that has some ooph, especially if that VM is Windows 10. The "server with a gui" option helps you set up a server with a gui interface, but a server is not the same thing as a VMM, but you then need to know what type of server you want it to be: Mail, print, time, etc., etc., etc. Then once all the software is install you need to configure it to do whatever it is you want it to do. OTOH if you want a machine to create and run Virtual Machines that is a horse of a different color. You mention oVirt. You are probably going to have to download and install it ie the support packages necessary probably are present thought you will then need to then download the oVirt engine.

https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/qui ... art-guide/

OTOH if you are trying simply to create VM that you can run there are a lot easier way to do it, such as via the download and installation of VMWare's VMWare Player. I prefer to use VMWare Player, but there are several different ways (packages) to do the same thing. I run a small workstation that has muti-function capabilities. This is a LINUX home, we don't run no stinki' Windows, unfortunately for me my sister runs Windows 7, and I can't get her to see the light. When something breaks on her machine she calls me :roll: and I am suppose to diagnose her problem. :roll: Given that I live some 500-750 miles away, that's kind of hard. Solution: fire up a VM of Windows 7. VM are also great for testing new OS without having to blow up your production machine first.

You don't say what you plan to do with this machine: is it going to be a dedicated SERVER, or is it going to be a multi-function machine that is expected to have the ability to create and use Virtual Machines in addition to other functions ie office, web surfing, internet, graphics, etc. etc. If all you plan/want to do is to run a VM (say Windows 10 :roll: ) at the same time as you are running CentOS Linux, then way I have done it is to create a number of Virtual Desktops and dedicate ONE VD to a particular function -- in your case your VM's and you run the VM on top of CentOS 7. I run something like 7 different programs simultaneously, with each running in/on its own Virtual Desktop. If I need I can run up to 4 different Virtual Machines -- 2 if one happens to be Windows 10 :evil: To change from one activity to another you simply change to the correct VD.

Hope this helps