Centos 7.5 ffmpeg issues

General support questions
nrdpxl

Centos 7.5 ffmpeg issues

Post by nrdpxl » 2018/05/11 23:34:00

I have a trouble with Fusion 9 and ffmpeg. Was posting in BlackMagic forums, but with no luck, so looking for help here.
the issue is that cant load mp4 files in Fusion9, as in Fedora 27 I was able to do that with no problem.

In Centos 7.5 I have 2 results.

1. install ffmpeg from negativo/rpmbusion/nux-desktop/ repos is invisible for Fusion9 and cant load the files.
also, can't play videos in gnome videos app with enabled gstreamer plugins. (noticed that GStreamer Multimedia Codecs - libav plugins can't even be installed from Application installer and give an error

Code: Select all

Detailed errors from the package manager follow:

installing not available
2. After installing ffmpeg, vlc, Handbrake from elrepo - Have no issues with files on desktop, and playing them in video app,
have information in Fusion9 that able to see ffmpeg install, but after I load file, I'm able to play just few frames and it freezes after. If i add second file,
sometimes Fusion9 terminates.

I tried negativo17/elrepo/nux-desktop/rpmfusion/elrepo

maybe someone had same/similar issues and can give a good advice how to solve this issues?

scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: Centos 7.5 ffmpeg issues

Post by scottro » 2018/05/12 02:39:35

One possibility is to build ffmpeg from source. The nux version is a bit older, and works for 95 percent of my needs. However, the ffmpeg wiki explains how to build from source in your home directory so you don't break other things. (Of course, the reason many people want CentOS is because of the stability, but you pay the price in some packages being older. )

Anyway, this does have you build it in your home directory, so much less risk of breaking things. I've used the guide before and had no problems, but of course, one can't guarantee it will go as smoothly for anyone else.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Centos
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

nrdpxl

Post by nrdpxl » 2018/05/12 08:33:11

thank you for your answer. well yes, i was able to compile ffmpeg too, but still my issue persists. Fudion9 was unable to find it even I manually include that directory in preferences itself. The best result I think was get ffmpeg-devel packages from elrepo or rpmfusion but not sure why it’s freezing playback after few frames in Fusion9.

bonedome

Post by bonedome » 2018/05/13 10:25:42

Hello
mixing rpmfusion and nux is a really bad idea, pick one and stick with it.
I use nux.
There is a bang up to date ffmpeg static binary here https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/ install it in /usr/local/bin to be executed first.
Gstreamer needs gstreamer-plugins-bad-nonfree (I think) for mp4
Also (maybe related) elrepo released a newer libvdpau-va-gl hw acceleration driver which killed video on the nux version of vlc

nrdpxl

Post by nrdpxl » 2018/05/30 07:20:14

Hi, thanks for reply!
yes i’m not mixing nux and rpmfusion, just did tests to see which one works. Sadly, none of them did the job(including negativo) after clean install. I mean it works, and transcodes videos from other software or cli etc, but having trouble with Blackmagic Fusion 9. I get same issue, only first 24 frames are played of imported video and freeze after that.
I’ve wrote this in BM forum too, but have same answer - use that or another repo, but this doesn’t solve anything for me.
I think I need shared build, so that link you provided won’t work, but thank you.