upgraded from 7.4 to 7.5 system unusesble

General support questions
unix1adm

upgraded from 7.4 to 7.5 system unusesble

Post by unix1adm » 2018/05/12 23:07:39

I did a yum update on my 7.4 system and when it was done the screen had dropped out to a terminal window (no GUI) and was hung. No prompt.

All I did was yum update -y on the system.

I reloaded the os to 7.4 and did the yum update again

Same results.

I tried both times to boot to an older kernel (I have 3 listed) . System would not boot.

Lucky this was test system for me . But I have to update my main laptop and do not want to lose all my data.

Lenovo R61 8G memory if the helps.

I have no idea what happened but I can reproduce it.

Also I did download a NEW version of the CentOS and put it on a bootable USB. This worked fine but was 7.4 not 7.5 yum update failed in the same way.

jared_uses_linux

Re: upgraded from 7.4 to 7.5 system unusesble

Post by jared_uses_linux » 2018/05/13 01:17:30

I've also encountered a number of show-stopping problems--on two computers.

I upgraded on Thursday without any problems, but I have not been able to reliably boot into a usable system. I've noticed several problems, but they do not always occur or don't always occur so quickly after booting the computer.

On my laptop...

- My USB keyboard and mouse stop working before or shortly after the GDM login screen. The keyboard and trackpad built into the laptop, however, continue to work.
- Booting typically takes significantly longer. The ASCII art progress bar that crawls along the bottom of the screen slows almost to a standstill, and several minutes pass before the login screen appears.
- Once, after logging in the screen turned black, and even after several minutes, the gnome desktop never appeared. I tried to CTRL-ALT-F2 to a different terminal, but that did not lead to an progress. The new terminal screen appeared, but I could not type anything.

If I select the previous kernel, I can boot and use the laptop no problem.

On an old desktop...

- The update happened without any problems, but after rebooting and selecting the new kernel in the GRUB screen, the kernel immediately panics.

I'm not a knowledgeable enough linux user to be able to figure out what's going on. If anybody can suggest a course of action to figure out what's causing theses errors, I could be happy to try to find out more info and report back to this thread.

Thanks.

calcatinge

Post by calcatinge » 2018/05/13 07:50:00

I would suggest you read among the "know issues" of the new 7.5 release.
As an option, try to install the 1708 version inside a VM and then do the update there. See what happens. If everything goes well inside the VM (and I suspect that it will) then you could have an hardware incompatibility issue somehow.

Also, if you install a new system from a removable media, try and do an update immediately after the install. There is a new Kernel version update available. In the end. you should have the 3.10.0-862.2.3.el7.x86_64 kernel version installed.

I use CentOS (7.5.1804 now) on different systems, old and new, and it works just fine, the update went smooth. Here are my systems:

1. Lenovo x201, Intel i5 560m , 4GB RAM, 320 GB hdd, Intel graphics, intel wifi and bluetooth
2. Sony Vaio 1311SVT, Intel i3 2367m , 8GB RAM, 32 GB SSD Samsung, Intel graphics, intel wifi and bluetooth
3. HP Probook 430 G5, Intel i5 8250u, 8GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, Intel graphics intel wifi and bluetooth
4. Intel NUC, Intel i3 5010u, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, Intel graphics intel wifi and bluetooth
5. HP Compaq CQ57, Intel Pentium B960, 320 GB hdd, Intel graphics

Thuur

Post by Thuur » 2018/05/13 11:36:50

I have also experiencing issues with the latest update to kernel 3.10.0-862.2.3.el7.x86_64

From the top of my head I used to work with kernel 3.10.0.693.....

When booting & shutting down I get the following error msg
  • [ 1.820907] [drm:wait_panel_status [i915]] *ERROR* PPS state mismatch
    [ 2.477168] [drm:wait_panel_status [i915]] *ERROR* PPS state mismatch
    [ 2.506187] [drm:wait_panel_status [i915]] *ERROR* PPS state mismatch
For the above error message there is a patch available but that is kernel 4

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103903

Also rebooting the system let my laptop hang. I need to press button.
You get a message about "watchdog ......" Sorry I can remember it
Update reboot : Task kworker/3:2:565 blocked for more than 120 sec

Update: My usb mouse en keyboard are not hot pluggable
I need to switch off my laptop and retart it again

My config
  • System Information
    Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    Product Name: N750JK
    Version: 1.0
    Serial Number: xx
    UUID: xx
    Wake-up Type: Power Switch
    SKU Number: ASUS-NotebookSKU
    Family: N
    Memoery 12 GB
Please advise how remove above error ? I'm not experienced enough to apply patches to kernel. Will there be an update soon?

Br,